Earthquakes In Oklahoma

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In 2015 the state of Oklahoma experienced more earthquakes than the the rest of the continental US combined. Yesterday we had a 3.9 magnitude quake followed quickly by a 5.1 quake. We have had 18 earthquakes today.

Structures in Oklahoma were never designed with earthquakes in mind. Earthquake insurance is not included in most homeowners insurance policies. Most Okies have no earthquake insurance. i know a lady whose home is being shook to pieces by earthquakes.

This seismic activity is not being caused by fracking. It is being caused by the injection of brine and oilfield fracking waste deep into the earth. Brine is a byproduct of oil extraction. Formerly brine was stored in huge lined ponds where it was allowed to evaporate. There are presently brine injection wells all over OK.

Forty-nine U.S. states recorded a total of 1,586 earthquakes of magnitude 3 or greater.

Oklahoma recorded 857 quakes. That leaves the other 48 U.S. states with a combined total of 729.
http://www.koco.com/weather/oklahoma-ha-more-earthquakes-in-2015-than-all-of-continental-us-combined/37209902

Most of the politicians who run this state are in the pockets of the oil companies. They refuse to get off their butts and pass legislation limiting the injection of brine into the earth. The owner of one oil company demanded the governor fire the seismologist who tagged injection wells to earthquakes.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?211939-Oklahoma-Earthquake-Politics

Common sense tells me when you blast between rock layers and suck out the gas and oil, everything above it collapses. That is how I understand fracking.

The US Geological Survey did the definitive study on the fracking-earthquake link and found just what falcon said.
It is not the fracking process itself or even the gas/oil extraction. It is the fact that a large amount of what is pumped to the surface is water. Water and contaminants associated with oil and fracking fluids. That water has to go somewhere, and is re-injected into the subsurface through wells.
In some old oil and gas wells, what they pump may be 95% water and 5% gas or oil (up in Wyoming). The water is pumped underground under great pressure. The water, itself, acts as a lubricant in fractures and the pressure causes movement. Earthquakes.
In the Denver area many years ago, there was an earthquake triggered by injection of contaminated water into disposal wells.
Down in the San Juan Basin of Southern Colorado, water from the natural gas production is trucked to disposal wells and injected. The local Indian Tribe makes big money from the trucking of the water.
Ron

The state legislature in Florida is trying to vote to block city and county governments from enacting laws stopping fracking in their jurisdictions. 

Some local governments have such anti-fracking laws on the books.

Local governments in Florida are very pro-ecology. This is because a lot of tourism is tied to the environment. The state level is very much further right on this subject.

Currently, there is no fracking in the state of Florida or any planned that I am aware of. 

However, with a very shallow fresh water aquifer, weak limestone bed rock, and easy spill into the everglades and sea? I believe that only a fool would let this happen here.

No laws in Florida can be enacted by counties or cities that conflict with or are more stringent than state laws. That's why it is now legal to hunt within city limits where it used to be restricted. The discharge of firearms still has to be at least 500 ft. from a dwelling and shooting across highways or private fence lines is prohibited.

If the state allows fracking, local communities can do nothing about it. The time to stop it is before the state allows it.

patocazador said:
No laws in Florida can be enacted by counties or cities that conflict with or are more stringent than state laws. That's why it is now legal to hunt within city limits where it used to be restricted. The discharge of firearms still has to be at least 500 ft. from a dwelling and shooting across highways or private fence lines is prohibited.

If the state allows fracking, local communities can do nothing about it. The time to stop it is before the state allows it.
I think you are on the right side of the facts all across the board here. Thanks. 
I did not know that stuff about the hunting especially.

Back