Elk hunt section?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Hows come thier is no elking section here?

Oh well, figured this would be the most appropriate place to post this.

Anyone going elking with thier ML this year? I'm headed to CO on the 8th of Sept. Can hardly wait. Got a cow tag, I'm a cheapskate, opted for the half price with no antlers special.

I am heading to Colorado Oct. 21-31 for a combo plains rifle elk and mule deer hunt in unit 128. There were only 26 tags in that unit for elk and I drew one, should be a great hunt.

I am leaving for CO. on Sep. 6th for the Ml season. I do have a bull tag. Hunting public land.
Redclub

What all does it take to get a elk tag for a place like Colorado. I would like one for muzzleloader but never applied for one in my life. What does a person need to do, write the Colorado Department of Fish and Wildlife?

Cayuga,

No problem really. You have to apply by early April. You can either write, call, or get on their internet site and request the information.

Depending on what tag you want, you can either go next year or next decade, literally. If you just want a cow tag, they are only $250 and most cow tags are statewide for ML. These you can apply for and USUALLY get in one year, no preference points needed. Statewide bull tags only take 1-3 years for non-rezs to draw, depending on how many people apply for them that year. HOWEVER, their are a few "trophy" units in CO that are extremly difficult to get drawn into. One such unit is 76. These units will take 7-10 points (years) to get drawn into for a bull and 2-3 points for a cow. So I suggest if you want one of those units you start applying immidately. Obviously, the statewide tags exclude these units, so you cannot hunt them

Oh yea, a bull tag is around $550, but I haven't bought one since they raised the price. They used to be $250 just a few years back. Also, if you don't want to hunt that year, but would like to build preference points, you can simply apply for a preference point in CO! BUT you still have to send in the full amount like you are applying for a hunt, then they will send it back several months later.

thanks for the information. I will have to start doing that.

Back