Capping a cap and ball revolver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to this, have shot maybe 100 balls over the last month. Having a tough time capping the revolver. Have an inline capper like on sale everywhere, didn't work that great. Filed down the nose a bit as seen on youtube, still doesn't work that well. Doesn't want to let go, cap turns at an angle, or one cap sets on the nipple and one falls out, or it falls out before getting close. No better then with finger and thumb. What works for the experienced revolver shooter?
Thanks

No issues using just my fingers on my 1858... and yeah, most of the cappers I've seen are meant for rifles or shotguns where the cap is sticking up and out with not a lot around it

No issues using just my fingers on my 1858... and yeah, most of the cappers I've seen are meant for rifles or shotguns where the cap is sticking up and out with not a lot around it
My fingers are all thumbs. Ordered the 12 way stars from western gun. See how those work.
Tried to order from Polish capper but their payment system doesn't like me.
Thanks

After trying a few different things, what works great on the 1858's is the 3D printed 12 arm stars from Guns of the West. Doesn't work in the 1873 however, but the straight line capper with the modified nose does the trick on that one.

View attachment 44291
I got 3 of them and I am working on a second order the most versatile capper I have used, Been through a few of them snail, ted cash, straight for percussion this style the Star is best and these hold 12 caps I see no other

New to this, have shot maybe 100 balls over the last month. Having a tough time capping the revolver. Have an inline capper like on sale everywhere, didn't work that great. Filed down the nose a bit as seen on youtube, still doesn't work that well. Doesn't want to let go, cap turns at an angle, or one cap sets on the nipple and one falls out, or it falls out before getting close. No better then with finger and thumb. What works for the experienced revolver shooter?
Thanks
I use this one here.

I've had the same issues until I fiddled with the capper a bit while unloaded. I discovered if I would just gently slip the cap onto the nipple and not use force, the cap would stay on the nipple. Then I would flip the capper over to the solid side and press the cap firmly onto the nipple. Works like a charm for me every time now.

Latest posts

Back