Evapo Rust on Rusty Muzzleloader Bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rubber plug??

What threads are the nipple threads?
It’s a TC Triumph. I wanted to be sure that I didn’t use something that the Evapo-Rust would react with. I thought about using a wine cork. Don’t know if the solution would eat through the cork and leak out. I’ve read that it will take off the blueing. A recommendation I’ve read about was using a condom over the end of the barrel and using some tape to help secure and seal in the solution. The rust is from the end of the barrel to about 6” in. I figured if I’m going to pour the solution in I might as well fill up the entire barrel. I’ve never used this stuff so I’m trying to get info from people who have. Thanks for your reply.

I might try a wine bottle cork or a synthetic cork from a cheaper bottle. Put a little EvapORust on the cork first to see if it dissolves?
That’s my concern exactly. What this stuff might dissolve through.

I think if that were the case I would plug muzzle end and then put a bucket underneath in case it does eat whatever plug you have.

The plugs I have came from an old Outers Foul out electrolysis set up I had where you capped off the rifle and filled the barrel with a fluid then dropped a rod in the barrel and connected the setup to a battery or plugged it in. Worked well in removing lead and copper but very slow.

Last edited:
I found out that Evapo-Rust will not harm cork. I took a cork from a wine bottle and sanded it down enough for it to fit tight into the end of the barrel. I'm going to leave the solution in the barrel for 24 hours and hope for the best.

What kind d of scrubbing method are you going to use once you wipe the Evaporust out?

I’ve never used this stuff before so I’m really not sure. Probably run some dry patches through the barrel to make sure it’s dry. Followed by some Hoppe’s and a bore brush if needed. I’ll also have some Kroil and JB bore paste on hand if I need to take things that far. Again, I’ve never used this stuff before so it’ll be trial and error for me.

There are better products for getting rid of rust.I never needed it on guns, but I use it regularly in industrial applications. Normally just wiping on a good coat on and let it sit 24 hours.I have soaked tools in it but really didn't need to soak. It will take paint, bluing off as well as other things. Reacts violently with zinc. The worst thing I've used it on is a lithium salt filter press that was 30 years old. Brushed it on , next morning it rust was gone. Metal was clean.One is Krud Cutter rust inhibitor /converter

Thanks Okie, I had the same thing on a barrel recently. An old CVA Stag Horn I picked up. Took all the rust out and can now see the pitting but should shoot fine.

Picked up some EvapoRust after reading this thread and cleaned up an old second hand 10ml that was pretty ugly in the breech area. After 24 hours, it looks much better. Still pitted but only on the first 1.5 inches of the breech. This rifle shoots great but it is probably at the top of the list for a new .45 barrel.

898124B3-158F-4615-9C0C-2D34A9C3D314.jpeg
72024A53-1B84-4902-A8B3-01140E4CF1BE.jpeg

Latest posts

Back