Favorite Black Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Is Your Favorite Black Powder ?

• Goex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swiss

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Elephant

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Loggy

Reaction score
:D Be sure to add reason why a certain brand is your favorite.

I voted Goex. Been usin it for many years in my flinters and is of a consistent quality. Plus, cant find any others around my neck of the woods. :lol:

Loggy, I've used Goex for years. Last Fall I purchased 2 pounds of Swiss 3F at Friendship. Although Swiss is a little more costly ($15.50 per pound) than Goex, you don't use as much because of it's "hotter" characteristics. Accuracy is outstanding, and it shoots alot cleaner than Goex. ALOT of shooters at Friendship using Swiss, which is another good indication of it's popularity.

:D Hi Chief. I heard good reports on the Swiss but nobody around here carries it.

Did you try any out of your Whites or just your sidelocks?

I actually bought it FOR the sidelocks, but haven't shot any of them lately. I tried it out of the .451 S91. I'm going to give it a try out of the .504 Lightning hopefully Monday. It shot just as well if not better than 777 using the same 70gr. load. Cleanup wasn't as easy as 777. Accuracy seemed more consistant though. I may pick up some 2F Swiss at Friendship next month. That 3F is some HOT stuff! :shock:

Batchief909 said:
I actually bought it FOR the sidelocks, but haven't shot any of them lately. I tried it out of the .451 S91. I'm going to give it a try out of the .504 Lightning hopefully Monday. It shot just as well if not better than 777 using the same 70gr. load. Cleanup wasn't as easy as 777. Accuracy seemed more consistant though. I may pick up some 2F Swiss at Friendship next month. That 3F is some HOT stuff! :shock:

I read that somewhere. Maybe the 2F Swiss is comparable to 3F Goex.
I do like the 3f 777 in my S91 but cannot get reliable ignition in the flinters. They wunt the real thing! :lol:

You're better off with the real stuff in the flinters. There's too many variables there to have to worry about quick ignition. A buddy of mine bought his first flintlock last summer. It was a Lyman GPR. I became quite amused watching him use Pyrodex.... :lol: I let him go until I thought he was gonna wrap it around a tree, then I gave him some Goex... :D

I bought some Swiss and really like it. I admit I shoot Goex 99% of the time. Swiss seems to have much more power and less fowling. It is a nice powder but more expensive then Goex. Goex will do the job fine, but I still like Swiss the best.

I have only used Goex, but I am "on call" when the new shipment of Swiss comes in in Lansing! I want to try some 2 and 3F. :D

I tried Pyrodex and APP in 2 f didn't like either for various reasons. Just went back to good old Gooex ah er Goex. Naa I mean Gooex. I shoot an inline, a sidelock and several Flintlock rifles and all shoot much better with Gooex than what I have tried so far. Also use only loose powder. Those pellets are way too expensive.

Swiss is my favorite...burns clean. Haven't been buying much of it lately though...figured for playing I'll stick with Goex or Graf.

Back