Field Report 1/20/07 Pheasant...Venisoneatr & JC

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Report:

Jim was kind enough to invite me for a morning of Pheasant hunting with his son Travis, and Hubert.

While I awoke at 3:30 this morning to 20+mph winds and three inches of snow at my house, by the time I reach Jim's at 5:15 thing had calmed down beautifully.

After a short travel to the fields, and taking care of the administration related to the land, (the club participates in a rotating stock program), we were ready to hit the thickets at the back of property by about 7:30.

The standing Cedar thickets were particularly conducive to resident birds that had already learned that running was a much better method of escaping than flushing when faced by a smart dog and the ensuing hunter. (Equally important was the fact that released birds find this area generally inhospitable.)

Sure enough the first two birds we encountered sprinted like Ethiopian runners... :lol:

Fortunately, Hubert seemed to find a special interest in the second of those two birds and literally "dogged" it for quite some distance. Just when every shrub seemed to to turn up empty, Jim made a very nice tactical decision.

Jim pointed out that a small crick was traversing the immediate area in a somewhat U-shaped pattern. He pointed out that the bird would not have crossed the water unless specifically flushed, and decided we needed to work with Hubert to beat the brush a bit harder.

Of course Hubert was working his "sneak" as if something was up but I could not figure out his actions.

(Obviously Jim did!)

Jim headed chest deep into pile of thicket about four feet from the edge of the crick...Nothing....

Not to be shown up...Jim and Hubert worked the down the thicket at the seam of the bank.....After quit a ruckus, sure enough....OUT CAME THE BIRD!!!!

Moments later Hubert fetched the first bird Cock-Bird of the day!!!

Now some Pics...

Stewardship Release...

121_2121.jpg

121_2122.jpg

121_2124.jpg

Travis...

Trav.jpg

The Team...

clan.jpg

Me...

jeff.jpg

Family Truckster...

121_2125.jpg

Grouse said:
I wish i could practice on some. :)

Grouse...

The truth be known...This is the first Pheasant I have ever taken...while I have shot clays occasionally, the last time I went on a Pheasant hunt I was only allowed to carry an unloaded .410, (I was maybe 7yrs old).... :wink:

What concerned me more was the fact I have no bird gun of my own!

Fortunately, I friend that I regularly hunt whitetails with in Rhinebeck NY, not only gave me gun, but also a full box of appropriate shells and assured me that all I had to do was point and shoot!

While we both realized that was a generalization, for the most part he was right...The gun seems to have such a history of killing birds that I certainly can't claim anything more than a brief involvement in its succes to this Point, (read, Luck!)... :D

I am looking forward to sharing the gun with other more accomplished shooters next month to get an honest understanig of it's abilities...

My borrowed rig....

120_2054.jpg

120_2009.jpg

120_2008.jpg

Grouse said:
You wont be the only one with a side by side. Pat Allen got a couple new ones on the way. :)

After handling Jim's gun I am sure his will be great demand. It amazes me a man of his stature handles it so well...In fact I think that is what makes it so incredible. Large or small the gun seems to point like an arrow.

Jc

Great post Jeff!

Looks like you guys had a great time! Love that snow on the ground. I can't wait to get everyone together!!

Great story JC...I can tell you first hand hunting with Jimmy and his wonder dog Hubert is a real treat... Like the rest of us heading to Ohio in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to hanging with the gang, bust a few clay's err'' 100 clay's and a few birds as well.... :wink: :wink:

Let it snow!!!

Hey Guys,

I had intended to post some pictures of the Culinary outcome of our hunt last weekend. (Unfortunately, I have been in Washington for the past week and haven't had time to get it sooner.)
So...here they are, including the Prep and the Results....

Looking forward to our upcoming trip!!

JC

--------------------------------
Warm-Up

Here is a picture of a few breasts Mel and I quickly threw together so we could have a bite to eat while we were preparing the main dish (which we eventually finished and served the following afternoon).

121_2137.jpg

--------------------------------

Main Meal

...Dilled Pheasant over Egg Noodles...

8 Pheasant Thighs plus Breast Trimmings after 2hrs of reduction in stock...

121_2142.jpg

After reduction, remaining Broth and Pheasant has been seperated and cleaned.

121_2148.jpg

The remaining mixture of broth was then combined once again and allowed to rest overnight.

The following afternoon the "stew" was then further reduced and prepared for service over the Egg-Noodles.

121_2149.jpg

Dilled Pheasant over Egg Noodles as served...

121_2154.jpg

That looks good enough to eat. Nice way to remember the hunt.

Back