Finally got it!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BP_HideHunter

Reaction score
Bought this oldie, well used of course. Nipple was stuck.

Much soaking, I got half a turn on it. More soaking, but was unable to break it free.

Read where some guys have had luck freezing these things, so in the freezer it went for 24 hours.

It worked! With pressure I finally got the nipple to break free with only minimal damage! Never give up!

IMG_20230306_133104808.jpg

Bought this oldie, well used of course. Nipple was stuck.

Much soaking, I got half a turn on it. More soaking, but was unable to break it free.

Read where some guys have had luck freezing these things, so in the freezer it went for 24 hours.

It worked! With pressure I finally got the nipple to break free with only minimal damage! Never give up!

View attachment 32047
Just curious but couldn't you apply a little heat to the nipple to free it up also? Glad that you got it out though!

Heat will make things expand, cold will cause them to contract. Applying heat only to the nipple will cause it to expand, making it harder to remove.

I have no doubt in my mind there are better ways to remove a stuck nipple, but I am just happy with what I tried eventually worked!

Fresh new with anti seize nipple grease applied!

IMG_20230310_163402052-01.jpeg

Just curious but couldn't you apply a little heat to the nipple to free it up also? Glad that you got it out though!
Yes you absolutely can use heat. Normally you would heat, then let the item cool a bit then reheat a few times, this helps break the adhesion better. Use a little penetrant with heat/cool cycles and it usually works even better.

You do not want to add heat to the nipple. Rather you add heat below the nipple so the hole expands and not the nipple.
Exactly. At least that is the way I did it when I was a fitter.

Heat will make things expand, cold will cause them to contract. Applying heat only to the nipple will cause it to expand, making it harder to remove.
Thats why you heat the hole the nipple screws into, I do it all the time as I run into that quite often when buying rehabbing sidelocks/under hammers/Ed

You do not want to add heat to the nipple. Rather you add heat below the nipple so the hole expands and not the nipple.
Heating the nipple wont hurt it tho. Heat and cooling several times works well partly because you can add heat to everything and the differing alloys expand and contract differently, breaking the adhesion, allowing penetrant and lubricants to get between. Sometimes working on small parts its hard to avoid heating up everything.
But it also works fine if both pieces are the same material. Cold also works based on the same principle, just lower temps.

Back