Fawn rescue mode this morn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An hr ago I was in my room with my Macaw parked on my chest, I was on the computer when I got asked to come out in the front yard, theres a fawn stuck in the neighbors cattle gate.
The guy from the roofing company saw the front half of the fawn sticking between the 10' long cattle gate & the post its mounted on & he had asked to get me to come out & help it. I met him when he was here a wk or so ago. He did take a dog blanket he had in his truck & covered its head to try & calm it down. The fawn is only a few wks old & it wedged itself in that 6" space & the ends of the heavy wire punctured its side just at where the stomach starts & the ribs end. It had rubbed a hand sized raw spot & it had 2 1/8' wires sticking into its side. I had to push the side of it in & pull the wires out & bend them 180*, then take an industrial-sized crescent wrench & back the 2) nuts off of the hinge mounts & beat them back thru the post while Dustin the roofer lifted & pulled the heavy gate away from the post. Me beating on the mounts sent the poor thing into a panic ( which is why the first thing I did was to get the wires that punctured its side out of it so no more serious or fatal damage got done when it started panicking while we were trying to free it . Damn glad its not my first time doin a deer or fawn rescue ) and as soon as it felt a release in pressure it got its rear hips thru & took off for the pine thicked 20yds away. I wasn't in a position where I could have grabbed it to inspect the damage further to see how bad it really was.
I didn't take pics bc when I got out to it, & I saw the situation that baby was in, to just stand there like an ass & take pics at it stuck, injured, & scared, was NOT the right thing to do.
I know that it didn't go very far before it laid down waiting for momma to show back up. There are a few does with fawns on the property regularly, one doe has 2 fawns.
I just hope that no intestines got punctured & that momma shows up to protect it before the Yotes show up for an easy snack.
Soooo that was fun, now its back to the computer, my bird & my coffee.

An hr ago I was in my room with my Macaw parked on my chest, I was on the computer when I got asked to come out in the front yard, theres a fawn stuck in the neighbors cattle gate.
The guy from the roofing company saw the front half of the fawn sticking between the 10' long cattle gate & the post its mounted on & he had asked to get me to come out & help it. I met him when he was here a wk or so ago. He did take a dog blanket he had in his truck & covered its head to try & calm it down. The fawn is only a few wks old & it wedged itself in that 6" space & the ends of the heavy wire punctured its side just at where the stomach starts & the ribs end. It had rubbed a hand sized raw spot & it had 2 1/8' wires sticking into its side. I had to push the side of it in & pull the wires out & bend them 180*, then take an industrial-sized crescent wrench & back the 2) nuts off of the hinge mounts & beat them back thru the post while Dustin the roofer lifted & pulled the heavy gate away from the post. Me beating on the mounts sent the poor thing into a panic ( which is why the first thing I did was to get the wires that punctured its side out of it so no more serious or fatal damage got done when it started panicking while we were trying to free it . Damn glad its not my first time doin a deer or fawn rescue ) and as soon as it felt a release in pressure it got its rear hips thru & took off for the pine thicked 20yds away. I wasn't in a position where I could have grabbed it to inspect the damage further to see how bad it really was.
I didn't take pics bc when I got out to it, & I saw the situation that baby was in, to just stand there like an ass & take pics at it stuck, injured, & scared, was NOT the right thing to do.
I know that it didn't go very far before it laid down waiting for momma to show back up. There are a few does with fawns on the property regularly, one doe has 2 fawns.
I just hope that no intestines got punctured & that momma shows up to protect it before the Yotes show up for an easy snack.
Soooo that was fun, now its back to the computer, my bird & my coffee.
My mother had taken this pic before I came out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
Good job! Hope his mom is nearby.
Thanks, me too. If she didn't find it & protect it, most likely, the Yotes would have gotten it last night. I didn't think to tie its front feet so it couldn't have ran so I could have taken a closer look at its punctures & treated them, maybe even kept it safe for a little bit to heal up or turn it lose when the momma showed back up. By biggest worry was that if its intestines got punctured that it was in for a long grueling death or the Yotes getting to it. I hope to see it & the momma around here within a cpl days or I'll have to assume the worst.

Get your coyote rifle ready anyway. Until it's healed, which it might be already, but ya can't know for sure, it'll smell like coyote food and they'll be there.

Get your coyote rifle ready anyway. Until it's healed, which it might be already, but ya can't know for sure, it'll smell like coyote food and they'll be there.
Yeah I know bro. There’s a pack of them around here, I hear them carrying on at night all the time. I saw Yotes a lot this past deer season, far more than ever before. I really do need to put some time into thinning them out for sure.

Last edited:
Down in my native Georgia coyotes were a common sight when I was out hunting. I only shot one but did shoot two bobcats - muzzleloader. I've also seen what those little wolves can do over just a few hours. There was a field with tall grass I used to hunt over. I shot a small doe that dropped in place. I spent the rest of the morning searching for it . I'd shot deer there before that only took just a while to find. The grass weeds were about an average of 4' or a little more.

The next morning I was out there early trying again to find that doe. It was difficult to see anything unless you were right on top of it. This time it was easy to find after a little while because a large "cleared" area had been flattened out and was scattered with fur, dried blood and drag marks. About all I did then was to feed some coyotes.

Down in my native Georgia coyotes were a common sight when I was out hunting. I only shot one but did shoot two bobcats - muzzleloader. I've also seen what those little wolves can do over just a few hours. There was a field with tall grass I used to hunt over. I shot a small doe that dropped in place. I spent the rest of the morning searching for it . I'd shot deer there before that only took just a while to find. The grass weeds were about an average of 4' or a little more.

The next morning I was out there early trying again to find that doe. It was difficult to see anything unless you were right on top of it. This time it was easy to find after a little while because a large "cleared" area had been flattened out and was scattered with fur, dried blood and drag marks. About all I did then was to feed some coyotes.
Thanks for sharing the story. I live about 45 min drive from the Ga line ( Valdosta ) in north central Fl.
Shooting that doe in 4' tall weeds & tryin to find it is akin to shooting one in an uncut cornfield. Unless ya stumble right on top of it, you can't see it or tell where the hell you are.
I did shoot 1 black yote while deer hunting this yr. I could have shot one or more almost every day last season. Thats more than what I've seen in the previous 3 yrs combined. I only saw 2 Bobcats this yr. I had one stop 10' from me one morn just before daybreak. I would have blasted him but there was only a cpl days of the season left & I didn't want to ruin my chances at another deer for the freezer, so I let him run off. Its rare to see them, but either me or one of the neighboring property owners are going to have to start shooting some Yotes very soon before all the deer & turkey we do have get decimated. The rabbit population is already much less than all the previous yrs here.

Its odd where I hunt, that I hear coyotes just at dark and maybe before its light in the morning but never see one during decent daylight. I know there's a mess of them in the area because a gut pile is reduced to nothing but the stomach and intestines in a day. They eat the caudal fat around the intestines but not the intestines themselves. And there must be a mess of coyotes because they too kncok down anything other than trees while they're feeding on the pile. I've often though of taking a sleeping bag up there and staying the night so I can see what goes on.

Back