Finally got to shoot my Knight - lehigh bare primer conversion (very short test)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I took her out Sunday. Fired just three shots...... 90gr 2f T7, ww209 primer, 385gr great plains conical. Touched off the first shot.... Hello! - That got my attention!šŸ˜– been shooting 22rf or .223 for the last two months so that was a drastic change. Impact was not on paper at 50 but I could see it. Adjusted the scope and touched #2 off.... 3" low and a little left. Cool, here we go. Made another adjustment and touched off #3..... scope is now dead.... crosshairs are clear but target is very blurry... first thought was "did I detatch a retina?" Until I realized the reticle was. still crystal clear. No great loss on then scope as I grabbed a cheap tasco that had lived on a 22rf for the past 25 years as a temporary sight til I decide what I want on it. Next test will probably see the Leoupold vari-x III LRM3 from the m40a1. I don't remember that same load out of the smaller/lighter TC Impact rocking me that hard.

Now I gotta settle on optics for this beastie, then determine whether it likes conical or sabots. I may look at a set of iron sights too as a fallback.

I think the failure rate on inexpensive scopes/red dots is fairly high with our heavy recoiling rifles. Havenā€™t had it happen to me personally but you read about it here and there. Thanks for the report. I always learn a lot from my failures (and othersā€™). šŸ‘šŸ»

then determine whether it likes conical or sabots. I may look at a set of iron sights too as a fallback.
I have 6 Knights right now. As long as I shoot a bullet for the appropriate twist, sabot or conical, carefully measure my powder, and do my part, I am very happy with the groups no matter what I put in them. I think you will find your gun capable of shooting both very accurately. Just choose whatever bullet applies best to your situation.

It's an original D.I.S.C. .50cal with Lehigh bare 209 conversion.

Barrel is 1x28 so she should work with both conicals and sabots....

I have a bunch of green harvester sabots so I will give a bunch of .429"/.430" bullets a try. Would really like to get Hornady FTX bullet to work for bambi social work. Developed a .357 mag FTX revolver load for a friend.... produced a first shot 30 yard bang-flop-DRT this past year.

Also plan to (hopefully) develop a cheap(ish) plinker/plate load.

Last edited:
I have a thousand or so GT bullets in .429/.430. In the 255 and 305 grain weights. Ron did a bullet test on them. I have or watched 5 deer killed with them. 3 DRT, 1 went 40 yards, and the last one went a full 100 yards before dropping. Cheap shooting with good results. If you want Ill sell you some for the same price as GT is charging.

Iā€™ve tried those with less than satisfactory results in 2 different rifles.
Just curious, Has anyone tried the harvester crush rib sabot .50 cal to .40 H15040BL?

Burris is here and mounted. Eye relief seems reasonable at 14x and glass is clear. I kinda wish I would have got the one with the side focus and turrets, but as was said in a different thread, it will probably be a "set it and forget it" scope. Base of the info on the reticle, with a 100 yard zero I should be able to use it to hold over out to 300 yards. Now I gotta see if I can find a couple loads she likes.

Testing will commence (maybe tomorrow) with T7 & Grafs 2f & 3f black.... Hornady 385 GP's and Green Harvester sabots and various bullets.

Well I went out and got it on paper at 50 yards tonight. I walked the Great plains bullets onto the target. The 2 shot group was the last two I had with me. Shot the LSWC in the green harvester sabots pretty quick right before I had to pack up and run. Ran a damp windex patch and dry patch between shots.
Target with orange dot is 80grV T7 2f/ww209/Hdy gp conical wiped the crusty lube off and put a thin coat of wonder lube on them. Plain cardboard is 80grV T7 2f/ww209/green harvester & 240gr .430 keith swc.

Hornady GP Conical.jpeg

LSCW in  Sabot.jpeg

Now I need to go out when I have more time to play around more at 50yards and then take it out to 100 and maybe 200 yards. Gotta see where it throws them when loaded dirty too.

Last edited:
So finally too her back out. Walked it in at 100 yards. Put a Sinclair ski-foot F-flass bipod on her and shot her off the bench. Shot 2 and adjusted up and over, 2 more and adjusted up, then 3 shot group. 80grV T7 2f/ww209/green harvester & 240gr .430 keith swc ā€¦. I ran a brush wrapped with a dry patch up n down a couple times between shots or I would not have been able to ram her home. Got the same basic group from 3 shots with a .44 cal Hornady 240gr XTP. IMG_3765.jpeg

Last edited:
definitely need to shim the lehigh breech plug, was definitely getting blow by. Anyone have a handful of washers leftover from a shim project that i can acquire?

Didnā€™t take any pics, but the 385gr Hornady Great plains was less than stellar with the same load. 3 shots into about 5 inches at 100. Pressure and headspace actually pushed the firing pin dent back outā€¦ didnā€™t shoot no more of the GP slugs when i saw that.

Anyone think i need to replace the firing pin spring?

Last edited:
Doing some serious shooting there ref.!
I've shot the 240 gr XTPs too and got similar results but I found that the 300 gr shoot much better with a similar load. I use 80 gr V of Alliant Black MZ.
Another really good shooting bullet is the 350 gr Federal BOR Lock.
Check put my post "took the 700 out"

Back