First Briggs & Stratton Outboard!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
I see that now Briggs & Stratton has just put out their first Outboard...a lil 5 HP and only goes for $750 for Black & $850 camo. 189CC w/4 stroke air cooled OHV engine. Weighs 56 lbs & will run 5 hrs full throttle on remote 3 gal tank!

Sure will favorite at approx 1/2 price of the competitors.

Very nice write-up in the NRA American Hunter ...June 2005 issue. I look for this one to be a winner for duck hunters and the smaller Jon Boat market.

If it is like the lawn mower engines you will pull your guts out getting it started. :D

Thought the same thing Dwight...the NRA artcle that had test report did say the rope starter was very smooth & easy to start. I rope start my 25 HP Johnson but it is a 2 cycle. When I get too old & weak, I may add the electric starter option. :lol:

I had to use to many BS lawnmowers when I was a kid, I won't own another one. I think the owners were part of a commie plot.

Rifleman said:
I had to use to many BS lawnmowers when I was a kid, I won't own another one. I think the owners were part of a commie plot.
Never had a problem with a Briggs and Straton engine. They always start quickly and reliably for me. You do have to use a little muscle to pull the little cord however. :roll:

I reckon the muscle was not what I was lackin, rather proper maintenance on them engines. Most were owned by little old ladys who payed to me cut the grass. I used to work 2 hours for 2 bucks, man what a deal. lol

I think if the R Man cuts bak on pies...he may be able to handle startin a BS! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I've seen those. Changing the subject...Do any of you remember the Mighty Mite outboard that you could get for $99.95? You could mail order them from just about anywhere?

big6x6 said:
Yeah, I've seen those. Changing the subject...Do any of you remember the Mighty Mite outboard that you could get for $99.95? You could mail order them from just about anywhere?

Yeah Chuck I remember. They were about the size of an gas ice drill. Think they were 2 hp or less. Havent seen them for years.

Actualy they did noy "just put". Rural King has been selling the Briggs outboard for a little overt 3 years now. I almost baught one for my little aluminum boat the summer before last when I was using it a lot. Changed my mind because the local boat shop had a few 9.9 that I could get for anywhere from $150-$200 more depending on which brand I wanted. Then the owner of that shop died before I actualy purchased an engine. Last summer I did not take that boat out at all. Maybe this year I'll buy an engine and get that boat back out on the water.

HighTechRedneck said:
Actualy they did noy "just put". Rural King has been selling the Briggs outboard for a little overt 3 years now. I almost baught one for my little aluminum boat the summer before last when I was using it a lot. Changed my mind because the local boat shop had a few 9.9 that I could get for anywhere from $150-$200 more depending on which brand I wanted. Then the owner of that shop died before I actualy purchased an engine. Last summer I did not take that boat out at all. Maybe this year I'll buy an engine and get that boat back out on the water.

HTR, If you go to the B & S Web you will see the BS Engine I listed in this Thread there as a NEW Product. I thought it was a first offering but apparently not per your thread. Maybe a new model of an older BS previously released. In any event, BS is relatively NEW to the OB Motor Market. :lol:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/displa ... ocID=68473

Per BS Current Web Page:

"Welcome to Affordable Boating?
Introducing the NEW Briggs & Stratton Outboard Motor

You are one step closer to enjoying hours of fun on the water with the new Briggs & Stratton Outboard. The 5HP, 4-cycle outboard is an affordable way to get out on the water for some fishing, hunting and family fun.

The powerful Briggs & Stratton 5HP outboard has all the important features you need at a more affordable price than other outboards. Thanks to our 4-cycle OHV design, the outboard is easy to start, emissions compliant and never requires mixing gas and oil. The tiller handle control and forward-neutral-reverse gears make it easy to operate, and a 3-gallon fuel tank is included for extra running time.

For over 90 years, Briggs & Stratton has been known for building high quality, dependable engines used in outdoor power equipment. Now this same dependability is available in an outdoor motor backed-up with a 2-year limited warranty and supported by over 30,000 service dealers worldwide.

All this makes for a complete outboard package. This is priced to get you out there and built to get you back.?

Features

5 HP 4-cycle OHV Engine
Forward-Neutral-Reverse Gear Shift
Tiller Handle Control
Manual Starting
Magnetron? Electronic Ignition
3-blade Aluminium Propeller
Push-button Stop with Safety Lanyard
Patented Overspeed Protection Device
Neutral Start Safety Switch
3.0 Gallon Remote Fuel Tank (Provided)
EPA and CARB Emission Compliant
2 Year Limited Warranty
Priced to get you out there.
Built to get you back.?

Specifications

Displacement 11.5 cu. in (189cc)
Bore x Stroke 2.688" x 2.04" (68.28 x 51.82mm)
Full Throttle 4000 RPM
Gear Ratio 1.57/1
Recommended Transom Height 15"
Weight 56 lbs
Designed for Freshwater Use"

outboard-glamourshot.jpg

Saw the 5hp at rural king today for $699 looks like a nice little engine for taking on and off the boat if you haul on a truck. How much of a boat would 5hp push?

Joe, A 5 hp will push a 28 foot pontoon but would work a lot better on a 10, 12, or 14. I have seen them little kickers on sailboats that were pretty good size moving them out of coves or away from the docks. There was a guy on e-bay that was selling kits to turn your string trimmer into a small outboard it looked pretty neat but I bet it was noisy, but it kept the mosquitoes away. I also saw a 25 hp mercury that had the powerhead removed and a 36 volt DC golf cart motor coupled to the drive shaft. I bet that guy terrorized the folks on the electric, pedal or paddle only lakes.

Joe, it would be great for a small Jon or Semi-V style boat with less than 48" bottom width and 14' & under. Most non-trailerd boats weigh under 200 Lbs & it would be a decent lil mtr to get around with. Ur not going to break any speed records but to most that aint too important especially dealing with a tiller controlled motor. Check the USCG Rating Plate on ur boat if one is there.

I have a 25 hp on my 16' Lund which weighs 450 lbs. It is almost too much motor and believe it or not my Lund is rated for up to 35 hp!

To all my friends, be forewarned, the BS engines are inherently evil, stay away. :D

Rifleman said:
To all my friends, be forewarned, the BS engines are inherently evil, stay away. :D

Dwight, I thing the BS Engines have improved from when you dealt with them mowing grass 60 years or so ago as a Kid! Well, maybe 50 years ago. Hard to tell with that haircut. :lol:

Dwight, B-S are fine motors I even have one on my John deere garden tractor. As far as an outboard though I would rather have a 2 stroke They last for 50 years with a lot of use, having said that I believe that 2 strokes are going to be outlawed in 2006. 4 strokes are a lot heavier than a 2 stroke. I am talking about small motors though up to 15 hp. I use a 9.9 Johnson and just love it. I have this on a modified John boat and it is plenty for a senior citizen to control . Trolls great, Duck hunting is ideal
Redclub

After reading those specs. I think that they must have upgraded the engine from what Rural King had. They might have this engine now, but if I remember correctly all the one I was thinking about buying had was forwards. No neutral, and had to turn it around for reverse. I veeeerrrrry easily could be wrong about that though.

Back