First hogs EVER taken with Blackhorn 209!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
It has come to my attention that Grouse and I shot the first hogs EVER with Blackhorn 209!

I don't know what everyone else did..but I can tell you what Grouse, Jimmy, Travis, and I did the first AM. We drove the Isuzu down by the lake. Travis and Jimmy got in the 2-man ladder stand there. Right under there stand was a LOT of hog sign. It had POURED rain the day before so I knew it was fresh. Grouse and I kept walking and talking between ourselves that we would make a big circle and see if we couldn't drive some hogs toward Jimmy and Travis. We walked all the way to the road that goes to the bottom and walked around the big point on the top of the hill and started back around. Finally getting back to the fence at the top of the hill we start back toward Jimmy and Travis. Outside of a couple of tracks we hadn't seen any real hog sign since we left the lake.

We stated walking down the fenceline and Grouse saw two hogs just off our path. The hogs were moving away from the lake area so we tried to cut them off so they would go in that direction. Once we got a little closer to them those two hogs grew to a group of about THIRTY! By now they had either seen or smelled us. The group kept trying to get around us and we kept moving to cut them off. No matter what we couldn't get them to go downhill toward the lake.

We decided we might as well try to get a shot and several times put our scope on the group but could never get a clean shot mainly because we couldn't get close to them. Finally they went down the ridge and it looked like I might get a shot. This was a HUGE group of hogs but I saw only about 4 that were really nice sized hogs. Finally I drew down on one about 75 yards away, about as far as I can see, and pulled the trigger on my KRB. ALL the hogs, including the one I shot took off. About that time I heard Grouse shoot and a SQUEAL so I knew he had connected. I walked over to where Grouse was and we found his hog not far from where he had shot it. There was a huge blood trail close to him and it was my hogs trail. We followed that and easily found my hog!

Here is Toms hog shot with a Knight Vision .50, 250gr XTP, 100gr Blackhorn 209 shot at about 75yds:

IMG_0087.JPG

...and here is my hog shot at about 75yds using my Knight KRB .50, 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme, 100gr Blackhorn 209:

IMG_0083.JPG

Great writeup Chuck! I could hear you guys shooting over there and I figured Tom was hungry and was late for breakfast ... So he had to bag one and get to the diner!!! 8) :lol:

Dont forget these Blackhorn Moments as well..

Night Extreme MHC - 100Gr BH / Parker 275 B E
HogHunt08016-1.jpg

Travis shot this monster with his Knight Wolverine Youth with 60gr of BH 209 and a 250 XTP .... Pretty impressive for such a young guy! Travis pulled off a double this weekend and he did it with style!

DSC03378.jpg

Recovered XTP from Travis' pig.....
HogHunt08037.jpg

Craig did shoot his hog as well with my gun and a 275 parker.... but I dont have a pic of him... maybe Tom does?

WOW!!! Those are some impressive hogs.. Way to go everyone. Going to be lots of breakfast sausage and chops, steaks, roasts, oh Boy!!!

That Blackhorn is an interesting powder. That young man, Travis shot a real monster. How far away was the hog from him? Did any of you get a pass through with the bullets and powder charges? Maybe a pass through is not that common with hogs.

Again, congratulations to all....

So I guess you guys had a pretty good time.

I'm guessing Travis will get that picture framed and hung up somewhere. I know I would! That hog just looks tough.

Any guess on the weights of any of them?

Nicely done guys. Ya kilt 'em guud der. :wink:

JJ, u ben in prison? Good job on the weight! I found it though.

Ah call JJ "Slim" nowadays..... 8) Congrats Bro..... :wink:

Grouse is still ugly tho..... :lol: :wink: 8)

Good goin' fellas.... :wink:

Would it be accurate to say Travis is the youngest hunter to kill a pig using BH 209? I would also be curious to know if he's the youngest hunter to kill anything using BH 209???

VENISONEATR said:
Would it be accurate to say Travis is the youngest hunter to kill a pig using BH 209? I would also be curious to know if he's the youngest hunter to kill anything using BH 209???

As far a I know! Only a few deer have been shot with it up until now. That's really going to change as the year progresses I'm thinking!

Loved ur fine Hog Hunt report!!! Makes me wanna pack-up & leave for Crossville this morning!!!!

Great pics!!!

Much congrats to all & appreciate you sharing your fine time at Loshbough's with us all!!! :yeah:

Here are pictures of Jeremy and myself. Jeremy shot his hog with 100gr Blackhorn 209 and a 250gr XTP out of a Knight Disc Extreme and I shot mine also with a 250 XTP but with 100gr ffg Triple Se7en out of a Knight Disc Elite. There wasn't enough daylight left on Friday for me to get set up with Blackhorn powder but the old standby load performed flawlessly anyway.

IMG_0979_1_.jpg

Harry

IMG_0956_1_.jpg

Jeremy

Nice pics and stories enjoyed them all. thats some really big hogs too congrats to all

what fantastic pictures. Greast job everyone. Those pigs are NICE. Does anyone know if there are wild pigs in Ontario? They look like good eating. Good lad Travis. What an achievement for a young man. Congrats.

Next Year

You ought ot think about making this a annual thing, sort a like a ondy. That way the date ois in stone and I can get ready way in advance. That just looks like a blast and i don't think we could get many more teeth in a picture frame from the size of those smiles! Great job thanks for sharing the memories!

Back