FIRST MUZZLELOADER

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a ride

FIRST MUZZLELOADER
I bought my first ML about two years ago. My choice, the CVA Accura MR-X .45. It came about, from all the CVA hype and how it was one of the most accurate ML out there, or was it?

RANGE TIME AND MORE
I read forums, and talked to experts, to learn the basic of muzzleloading. Now it was time to head to the range and put it all together.
I started with the recommended ELR Powerbelt, dreaded by some, loved by others. For me, it was a no go. Unable to hold a group, I was forced to look for other alternatives.
This was truly the turning point of knowing, not all ML are created equal.

BULLETS, POWDERS, AND PRIMERS
So the testing began for the best combination that would work in my ML. I couldn't begin to explain the frustration and disappointment I was starting to feel in the days and months of testing.
After all my trials and tribulations, things starting to come together. Primers, powder, and bullet combos started to work. I was learning what my ML liked and didn't like. My groups got tighter and I became more confident with MY ML. It was time, time for the hunt!

THE HUNT
The day of the hunt was cold, snowing, and 23 degrees. It was the second day of the Ohio Deer Gun season. Sitting in my ground blind at around 5:10 pm, just 15 minutes before closing day. I saw a dark flash deep in the woods passing a white patch of snow. There, I observed with my scope, a deer walking through the thick brush from left to right at a distance of 90 yds. For a while I lost him and knew I only had minutes before closing day. Again he reappeared, but this time even closer and walking from right to left now. Still unable to take a shot because of the heavy brush and dense trees, I waited for the right moment. Finally, he came out into the open field, trotting to get to the next group of thick woods. I took aim, but once again, his quick movements forced me to quickly change position to the next window of the blind. Now a broadside shot was possible at 65 yds. While still moving to make for his next concealment, I took aim moving my crosshairs to time his movement and fired. As the smoke quickly dissipated, I watched the deer take 10 staggering steps and fall. I did it. I really did it. My first deer with a muzzleloader and how it all came together for this moment. What a ride!!!

MR-X .45
-No Excuses bullet 250 gr. Flat Base .400 knurled.
-T 7 ffg 100grV
-MMP Sabot
- Cheddite Primers
- VX Freedom 3-9 x40 Muzzleloader Ultimateslam Scope

Attachments

• 20231128_172716.jpg
    20231128_172716.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231128_235144.jpg
    20231128_235144.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231128_215122.jpg
    20231128_215122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Congratulations! Your perseverance has earned you a satisfying trove of great memories, and some fine meat for your freezer. Yes, deer that are killed with muzzleloaders or archery equipment DO taste better!

Congratulations! You did a great job! Waited for a good clean shot and you were rewarded with a freezer full of venison!

You'r off to a good star.Hope you'r hooked.I like the time you put in to your range time developing a accurate load.It gave you the confidence to accomplish your goal.Job well done.Keep it up.Have a happy holiday.

Back