First trip of the year

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
6:15 am this morning found me in my stand, bow in hand. It wasn't too cool but the wind was really blowing. At 6:20 I was still organizing myself and when I looked up there was a white tail doe grazing 20 yds away. At first I didn't know it was a white tail 'cause it was still dark. Legal shooting time wasn't until 6:30. Had to glass here to confirm the species. Needless to say no shot. She wandered off and 10 minutes later a big bodied white tail buck appeared but he was at least 50 yds. Couldn't really make out the size of his rack because of the low light. That was it until about 8:15 when a coyote came along. Grabbed the bow and got ready. When he appeared I came to full draw but no clear shot. Was going to release the bow but dumby me, I touched the trigger on the release and off went the carbon arrow. I heard a sound like a click and guessed that the arrow had glanced off a tree never to be seen again. I should say that at the sound the coyote threw his legs into over drive and high tailed it out a there ;). Shot must have been too close for his comfort. Anyway I had a good chuckle at myself. A hour later there still was no activity so I climbed down to go for a walk and stretch my legs and see if I could find my arrow. Got to where the coyote had been and there it was in the middle of a tree, 10 inches off the ground with the mechanical broad head buried in the tree. Unscrewed the arrow but the broad head wouldn't budge and still there. We then did a quick tour around the pasture and came upon 3 mulie does who took off. Deer seem really edgy in the wind. Did come across a couple more hunters and one reported seeing a really big white tail buck who was an 8 X 8 and tines over a foot tall. I hunting partner also saw a big buck the evening before but couldn't count tines in low light and may or may not have been the same deer.
Anyway, I had a good time and things are looking up. Muzzleloading season starts wednesday so have to get ready.

Latest posts

Back