Flintlock/ 777???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave James

Reaction score
A gentleman whom I have recently met , is into the Frontiersman meet and such so has done away with all of his inlines and gone Flintlock only, they are all well made and the flash pan has the proper cone centered, all are 60 cal and larger.

But he hit me with a question I don't have the answer for. IF using the mfg black priming power as always would it be possible to use the newer "BLACK" substitutes such as 777 and their ilk for hunting. I don't think so but agreed to put it out to y'all here

Dave James said:
A gentleman whom I have recently met , is into the Frontiersman meet and such so has done away with all of his inlines and gone Flintlock only, they are all well made and the flash pan has the proper cone centered, all are 60 cal and larger.

But he hit me with a question I don't have the answer for. IF using the mfg black priming power as always would it be possible to use the newer "BLACK" substitutes such as 777 and their ilk for hunting. I don't think so but agreed to put it out to y'all here

NOPE!!!!

He will have to try it and see what happens. I think if he uses black powder for a prime it may work. Or he could put a little bit of black powder down the bore and then add the Tripple seven or other sub. If he can get the black powder using just that would be the best option. If getting black powder is a problem in his area, and he wants to make what he has last as long as he can, he can try what I posted above.

rat trapper said:
He will have to try it and see what happens. I think if he uses black powder for a prime it may work. Or he could put a little bit of black powder down the bore and then add the Tripple seven or other sub. If he can get the black powder using just that would be the best option. If getting black powder is a problem in his area, and he wants to make what he has last as long as he can, he can try what I posted above.

I tried loads of Pyrodex P with a BP prime in my flintlock and the result was at worst a flash in the pan, and at best, a hangfire.

T7 is even harder to ignite than Pyrodex P.

The only way I was ever able to shoot sub powders in a flintlock is to DUPLEX the load. What I mean is.. take some black powder, normally about 20 grains and dump that down the barrel. Now tap the butt of the rifle on your toe (gently) and level that load. Now dump your Triple Seven, Pyrodex, what ever on top of the black powder. Powder the pan and fire it.

The Duplex acts as an accelerator. The spark from the pan like normal will enter the vent hole, ignite the black powder sitting there, which explodes in a ball of flame and ignites the sub powder. I have done this with Pinnacle, APP, even Pyrodex and it worked. Would I recommend it... Nope.

It is still easier to just use black powder. Since you are using the Duplex, you're not gaining anything in the cleaning department. If black powder is hard to find in your area as it is in mind.. I order it by the case or half case. Then I have lots on hand for my shooting. I can off set the haz mat fee, and have dependable and high quality black powder when ever I want it.

I have used the duplex in my sidelocks beofre , mostly in the 10 and 8 bore guns, but was hesitant to suggest this in a flintlock, but maybe a try wouldn't hurt.

Well you are actually correct in not suggesting it, because many manufactures suggest NOT to duplex. Yet in the T/C Firestorm and Black Mountain Magnum, I was talking to a tech about loads and he said, well duplex them. He suggested 10 grains also.. as you mention.

Then when Pinnacle powder came out, I really wanted to try it. It claimed it could be used in Flintlocks. So I thought... great. I purchased five pounds of it. And I really liked the powder in many of my rifles. But again, when I went to shoot it out of my flintlocks I got .... so so results. More misfires then fires. So email to the company.. and they suggested... Duplex. So I started dumping 15 grains of 2f black powder first and used black powder as the primer and it actually worked real good.

But I order my black powder through Graf's and Sons by the half case most the time. And when I have a good supply of the real stuff, I see no reason to monkey with duplex loads.

Well we went out last night and try some loads,, the fine Swiss 4f for prime, and then we started with 5grains of FFG, then 80 grains of pyro equivalent powder, it worked fine but after doing this a few times he finaly decided to go back to just straight black black

Got him to shot the 8 bore ONE time, he just shook his head and handed it back, mubbled some thing about me having a screw loose :lol:

Dave James said:
Well we went out last night and try some loads,, the fine Swiss 4f for prime, and then we started with 5grains of FFG, then 80 grains of pyro equivalent powder, it worked fine but after doing this a few times he finaly decided to go back to just straight black black

Got him to shot the 8 bore ONE time, he just shook his head and handed it back, mubbled some thing about me having a screw loose :lol:

Having a screw loose.. probably from shooting that 8 bore too many times. It done moved the marbles in the game!! :D

Latest posts

Back