Flintlock Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the urge to try a flintlock rifle and am considering either a 36 or 50 caliber. I would like to know the pros and cons of a single trigger vice double set trigger. I have a percussion TC Renegade 50 caliber with double set triggers that I built from a kit years ago and like it a lot but think I would like to try a flintlock. I have noted that flintlock rifles can have either type trigger but do not know which is better. Sure would appreciate any info from you experienced flintlock shooters. Also any rifle recommendations.

I think a lot of it is personal preference, but I will say that I pulled out my Pedersoli hawken yesterday to give it a wipe over and the secondary set trigger wasn’t working. I guess it’s just one more thing that can go wrong. My GRRW has the same setup but has never had an issue.

I’m having custom flintlock rifle built at the moment. I’ve decided to go with a single set trigger.

Calibre wise I’m sure you’re experienced enough to know the positives and negatives so I won’t patronise you on that.

The most important part to a flinter is the lock, a crappy lock will make you hate flintlocks. Get a good one and you’ll probably never touch your caplocks again 😉

I've just sold two of my three caplocks, I’ll keep the hawken but since getting into flintlocks I just lost interest in using them.

It depends on what you're gonna do with it. Target shooting or deer hunting.
36 caliber guns are scarce these days. 50's on the other hand are plentiful.
I have two rifles with set triggers and ten or so without.
I do like the set triggers but the single ones work fine too.
My only flintlock rifle is a 50 caliber with the single trigger, which works fine for me.
It's all about personal preference. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, imo.
I think for you, a happy medium would be something in a 40 caliber. Legal for deer hunting in a lot of states, (check your local regulations).
Good luck on your quest.

As said earlier, it depends on what you want to use the rifle for. .36 is cheap to shoot compared to the .50, but .50 gear is more readily available. It is important to remember that you need to use real black powder in a flint lock, the substitutes do not work well and will cause many a hang fire. It has been said, and I will repeat; get a gun with a good lock. The locks make all the difference in how well you shoot a flinter. a good sparker will go off just as fast as a cap lock, a bad or poor geometry lock will frustrate the crap out of you and you will never shoot it well cause you will always wonder if it is going to go boom.

When I ordered my custom Lancaster: 50 cal - lots of stuff available for this caliber. Deer rifle
Chambers LH flint lock
Single trigger- not as impressive looking but I like it
also only one trigger, one let off when hunting
Just giving you my reasons. You get what floats your boat. As said good lock is CRITICAL!

I've had a number (LARGE number) of flintlocks over the years, but have finally settled on my .50 Renegade.
Nicely proportioned, good weight( helps with recoil) accurate and built like a Russian tractor.
While set triggers are nice, they do add to lock time. It's trigger to set to sear trip. Single trigger it's just trigger to sear trip. It's a VERY small increase, but after a while you can actually notice it.
Happily, mine has a nice unset pull. If you get one that's a tug o war, trigger jobs are an option.
IF it's possible to go wrong with a Renegade, it won't be by much.

If I can find a Renegade 50 cal flinter in good shape I would probably grab it particularly since I already have a Renegade caplock and I like it.

i have several flinters, and they all have there issues, the t/c have the cracked stock issue, lymans are just too heavy to lug around all day. the pedersolis are too long for brush hunting, so i would say my favorite is my Sharon 54 cal,. it came stock with L &R lock and a davis trigger and is very , very accurate

I have both and like both. Two flintlocks are single trigger and five with set triggers and a couple of those are so light and crisp I use just the front trigger without setting the rear.

I really enjoy shooting my .40 flintlock-a poor boy I purchased components from T.O.W. For target shooting the recoil is light at 40 grains of FFF.
It's not the prettiest thing but it's a shooter. Better then I am.
021.jpg

Bushfire said:​

... I pulled out my Pedersoli hawken yesterday to give it a wipe over and the secondary set trigger wasn’t working. I guess it’s just one more thing that can go wrong. My GRRW has the same setup but has never had an issue.

GRRW and GRRW Collectors Association were famous for their single trigger leveraged with a high pivot point, for very smooth and light trigger release. The locks have a strong mainspring, and short hammer fall, all for fast lock time.

GRRW.CA has closed it doors for the last time with the original custom gunsmiths hanging it up with the passing of Doc White and their ages - close to eighty years old or over. We had a good run the second time around with this firm. God Bless all of those left, GRRW and GRRW.CA.

If interested I have a few of these smiths that will build the old style GRRW/GRRW.CA rifles, give me a yell ...

Bushfire said:​

... I pulled out my Pedersoli hawken yesterday to give it a wipe over and the secondary set trigger wasn’t working. I guess it’s just one more thing that can go wrong. My GRRW has the same setup but has never had an issue.

GRRW and GRRW Collectors Association were famous for their single trigger leveraged with a high pivot point, for very smooth and light trigger release. The locks have a strong mainspring, and short hammer fall, all for fast lock time.

GRRW.CA has closed it doors for the last time with the original custom gunsmiths hanging it up with the passing of Doc White and their ages - close to eighty years old or over. We had a good run the second time around with this firm. God Bless all of those left, GRRW and GRRW.CA.

If interested I have a few of these smiths that will build the old style GRRW/GRRW.CA rifles, give me a yell ...
My GRRW isn't one of Doc's, it was an offshoot done by Alan Vaisham when the business was sold to Australia.

As others have mentioned, it's a personal preference. I've seen guys wander over from cartridge guns and like a single trigger because that's what they're used to. Most folks I know that shoot paper targets, etc., like Set Triggers. They may also help with accuracy during hunting but are one more thing to think of before you pull the main trigger.

I've shot Muzzies more than modern guns so I'm partial to set triggers. However, my last ML Hunting rifle had a single trigger.

You can usually find 50-cal components at most places that sell those kinds of goods. Smaller calibers are light on recoil, powder, and lead. It depends on what you're going to use it for. 50 is a good all-around caliber and legal for hunting in most states.

Many here do fine with factory locks like those from Pedersoli, Lyman & T/C. My personal experience is they are rock eaters. I can barely get 25 shots out of a flint. My Siler lock has 75 shots and still sparking. My L&R has 50 and is also still going.

Good Luck!

Walt

Back