Flints

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Flint Gives You Best Ignition?

• German Agate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black English

• Man Made

• Other

• Total voters

Loggy

Reaction score
What flint which gives you best ignition?

I voted the German Agates.

I use the English flints. Basically because they're pretty abundant at Friendship and can be had for a good price. I had an old timer in the gunsmith shack harden both (I have a spare) my frizzens for me a couple years ago during the Spring Nationals. Made a huge difference in the spark category. I also tried a couple "Dura flints". I'm not sure if these things are even made anymore, but you talk about sparks and staying SHARP! If you ever get the chance to try one Loggy,,,you need to check 'em out.

When I bought my Lyman Trade Rifle, it came with an agate. I never saw anything that lasted as long as that thing. If I could get more like it, I would change to them in a heart beat. I bought more agates but for some reason they did not last like that one that came with the rifle. All kidding aside, I wish I had kept count because I shot for days and days with that thing shooting more then 20 shots a day until it finally stopped sparking well. I've never got anything near that with a Thomas Fuller black English flint.

I voted Agate cause that is what I use most of the time. Actually I believe the english flints give a better spark but do not last very long.

I'm new to flinters and have only used the TC Agate flints so far. I read somewhere one time that a double bevel flint is available. Does anyone know anything about these and where are they sold? Sounds like a winner to me.

Back