Follow Up Shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAKnight

Reaction score
I have been watching some of the discussions on the Thor bullet. I am wondering...how easy is it to perform follow up shots with the projectile?

I know with a Powerbelt...I can go 3-5 shots without swabbing the bore with not much difficulty. I would imagine that the Thor is a bit more difficult.

Also, has anyone gotten gutsy enough to try them in a Savage MLII with smokeless powder? This seems like it would be a dream projectile for that situation.

For those that do not know, about a year ago, Virginia make those rifles legal for hunting during muzzle loading season. I do not have one, nor do I see the need for one in my situation, but I was curious.

You and I VAKnight are in the same boat as 45 shooters... Thor hasn't come out with them yet for .45's.

I noticed the .50 Thors are sized 1, 2, & 3 thousandths larger than the .50 bore(depending on what make rifle you're shooting I guess). The future .45 Thors will be 4 & 6 thousandsths larger than bore. I spoke with a CVA rep and he said that their bore diamemters are exactly .450. Sounds like the Thor .45's might be a little snug. :scratch:

Ive gotten as many as 6 rounds on a dirty bore with the Thor. Now my Accura on the other hand i can only get 2 shots down & thats with any bullet. Theres a bad crud ring that forms in the last 3-4" of barrel down by the breech and i have to swab after every 2 shots.

With smokeless, im not to sure how that would work as Smokeless / Blackhorn209 require a tight fitting load so the powder will ignite.

I have a Savage ML and the Thors work great in it. I use .503 diameter, I've shot it 10 times in a row without cleaning with no problems, using 43 grs SR4759. The key to accuracy with the Savage is to shoot no more than 2 rounds let it cool down then shoot it again. I've shot 5 1/2" - 3 shot groups at 300 yards with it. I have a tactical scope on it so I can shoot these distances accurately.

Latest posts

Back