Cold weather ignition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoishunter

No Braggin Till You're Draggin
Supporting member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240110_165328_The Weather Channel for Samsung.jpg

So this weekend is the last deer season here in Illinois. This is the expected weather 👆 up here. Got the new scope and rings, new ssk breach plug and a new can of bh209. Set the breach plug up for my federal 209a primers. I only have a muzzy tag left otherwise I might switch to my shotgun. I leave the gun, powder and projectiles in the truck. Would you say it's a possibility I'll have an ignition issue? Never shot it in a cold 🥶 Temperature situation yet. First year still hunting with my muzzy but I prefer it to all others. Even with our lil falling out during muzzy only season.

I know this question has been asked a hundred times but Temps aren't usually discussed. Oh and it's supposed to be windy as hell, 25- 35mph all weekend. Yeah

As long as your primers seals, no leakage/blowback, you should be fine.

That's long been my problem on this rifle. Another brand new breach plug will hopefully correct it for good this time. Haven't had a chance to test it out. So I'll bevthe annoying guy the day before season sighting in his new rig. Ugh.

Would you say it's a possibility I'll have an ignition issue?
Possible. Make sure you tape the barrel and have a tight fitting bullet or sabot.

Not sure what load you’re shooting or how far. If I were you, and really worried about it I might load a 5 gr black powder igniter under the Bh209 and reduce the Bh209 charge by 5 gr.

Possible. Make sure you tape the barrel and have a tight fitting bullet or sabot.

Not sure what load you’re shooting or how far. If I were you, and really worried about it I might load a 5 gr black powder igniter under the Bh209 and reduce the Bh209 charge by 5 gr.

That's what I keep thinking about. 🤔 I always tape the barrel on hunts regardless of weather. Most of my sabot loads fit snug to ramrod bending tight. If I can find more barnes on my way down I'll use them as they are stupid snug.

If you have leakage/blowback, you will have ignition issues as the temperature drops. A tight fitting sabot is a must for BH209.

Load it up and go hunt. You have a good primer so there's nothing to worry about.

I'm in northern MI, setting smack dab in between two of the Great Lakes. It can be 70°F, rain or sunshine today, and tomorrow be -10°.
As long as you have a BH209 functioning breech plug and using the magnum primers, you don't need anything else. Just keep the barrel down when its raining. If its below freezing and snowing, just keep the barrel down.
You could use all the suggestions made and that's up to you, but that weather means nothing.

I've always said when you enjoy a period of nice weather be it summer or winter there will come a time for payback. Here in Iowa were expecting more snow tomorrow and blizzard conditions. Then it's down in the deep freeze. Temperatures coming four or five degrees below zero daytime. I knowed it.☹️

I've always said when you enjoy a period of nice weather be it summer or winter there will come a time for payback. Here in Iowa were expecting more snow tomorrow and blizzard conditions. Then it's down in the deep freeze. Temperatures coming four or five degrees below zero daytime. I knowed it.☹️
Daggone, bring in the brass monkey huh

I've never had a problem with CCI 209M primers and Blackhorn 209, in any weather. I have had hang fires and misfires with non magnum 209 primers in cold weather, below 20*, enough that I only use magnum primers now.

The first year Blackhorn was available to use for hunting, we happened to be out hunting in -13° weather. It was not very enjoyable, but we wanted the meat. Rifle was an Omega X7 with the factory breech plug. Primer was W209. We did not stay out all day. Load was 105 grain Blackhorn

After walking around for a couple three hours, the trigger was pulled; ignition was instantaneous. Never have experienced a misfire or hang fire using that rifle.

Latest posts

Back