Forearm pressure when shooting from a benchrest..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
First let met qualify the type of shooting I am talking about so my question is clear.
Sighting in and/or working up loads from a benchrest, utilizing a front rest such as "The Rock" or a Sinclair, and using a leather bag back rest.

I was under the belief that while using proper form the left hand was not usually touching the forearm.

Is this not a general rule? If it is, when is not practiced? etc..

The reason I ask this question relates to a discussion I was having about sighting in rifled shotguns, (obviously similar to muzzleloaders). While doing some research I came across the following piece by Randy Fritz (owner of Tar Hunt Rifles).

Although Tar-Hunt rifled slug guns perform similarly to rifles, they are not rifles and cannot be zeroed as if they were. Even the fastest slug is significantly slower than the typical rifle bullet. It is therefore extremely important to apply back-pressure to the forend of the stock with your left hand while you are shooting. Not doing so will result in the barrel of your slug gun jumping into the air off of the front rest, moving your point of aim and ruining your shot before the slug even has a chance to exit the barrel

He later goes on to say....

Adjust the position of your gun as it sits in the forend and butt rests so that without having to touch the firearm the sight picture is dead on your target. Slide your body into shooting position without disturbing this sight picture. Begin applying shoulder pressure to the butt of the gun and offset any forward gun movement by pulling straight back with your right hand in trigger squeezing position. With your left hand on the forend of the gun's stock, pull firmly straight back and down at a 45-degree angle. Hold this pressure on the gun as you concentrate on keeping the crosshairs fixed dead on your target. Squeeze the trigger gently straight back until the gun fires. It is common for a shooter to anticipate the gun blast as well as the recoil, but both should come as a complete surprise when a perfect shot is made.

So my question is which is the right method, and when would either be used correctly?

Excellent question and I hope I can clear this up for you. First as a general rule most " bench technique has come from the accuracy seeking bench rest competitors. They have had a strong and positive influence over the years in teaching us position shooters how to shoot from the bench. Keep in mind though that "benchrest" is normally a game played with fast and relatively light kicking calibers. So this is the key, the first technique you described is correct when used with the right gun. As we slide up the scale to heavier/slower calibers sometimes the technique must be modified somewhat to accomodate recoil and slow velocity. the technique you quoted is quite similar to what I use when shooting slug guns and elephant rifles ( yes I have set up a few dangerous game guns for pals over the years). I tend to grab the forearm as I would and hold it firmly down with the back of my hand on the rest, but apply the rear pressure with the shooting hand. I have found over the years that different rifles like a different technique. 2 piece receivered,pistol gripped rifles like the fal,hk91,and ar15 like a slightly different approach as well. So in a nutshell, both are correct and there can even be variations of these to suit a particular rifle. I like to say sometimes I have to shoot a new rifle a little bit to see what it likes until it starts to " talk to me".
Hope this helps,
Rifleman

Thanks Rifleman,

That clears that up pretty well.

My next question which stems from the original one....

An acquintance of mine owns a beautiful .22 lr that is an incredible tack driver. Of course he shoots it with the "normal" benchrest style. He was teaching me how he shoots it the other day at the range.

The setup he had required pinching the back bag to control the final verticle adjustment of the crosshairs.

If the gun the shooter is using requires the left hand on the forearm, what is the proper way to adjust the rear bag..etc.

And....my question is, how many of you that use the front pedestal rest (Sinclair, Bald Eagle style) and rear bag use just one hand on the gun and how many use your left hand on the forearm while bench shooting your muzzleloaIf the gun the shooter is using requires the left hand on the forearm, what is the proper way to adjust the rear bag..etc.ders. I've tried both ways and generally have better accuracy with the one handed technique.
If the gun the shooter is using requires the left hand on the forearm, what is the proper way to adjust the rear bag..etc.
Well, I fine adjust with the windage and elevation adjustments on my Bald Eagle front pedestal. I don't touch the rear bag at all except for coarse adjustments. I'm using a Protector rear bag made of heavy leather with a double bottom and it is pretty stiff and it would be hard to adjust using the "squeezing" technique.

NIC....just for reference the Protektor bag you are talking about (#13), is the same one this guy uses the pinch technique with. Keep in though he uses a Harris bipod up front, so his case is a little different.

JC, the rear bag I'm using is the Protektor Custom Bunny Ear Rear Bag #18. It's a lot stiffer bag than the #13.

jcchartboy in ref: to your question, yes usually the left hand is used to pinch or manipulate the rear bag to find the vertical adjustment,however in the case of heavy kickers with your left hand under the forearm and resting on the front rest your vertical adjustment is found here in addition to the toe bag.

Nic58, a bipod from the bench works ok with light kickers and real heavy barrels, but I have found usually tighter groups can be shot off bags as the bipod sometimes "kicks' away from the bench as their is no give.

Guys believe it or not, I don't use anything but bags front and rear with no mechanical rests, it takes longer to set up to find the true dead gun but it works for me. Lately I have shot 1/2 moa groups with an m1a with iron sights at 200 yds and 1/2 moa groups with lakers 300 weatherbey mag at the Indiana shoot. Give it a try sometime,
Rifleman

Back