Perfect practice #2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
Natural point of aim. First some basic stuff. When you sight through your scope does your eye line up perfectly with the center of the scope? Maybe you need higher or lower rings or a strap on riser on the buttstock. Is your eye relief perfect? If you wear a strap on recoil pad, make sure you make all your rifle adjustments wearing it since it changes your length of pull. These are simple mechanical alterations that almost everybody is familiar with. They allow you to naturally point the rifle. Adjust the rifle to you, not you to the rifle. For N.P.O.A. you would think that all you have to do is lay down and get comfortable. While that is true, there is a little more to it. To begin with, if possible, lay your shooting mat in a flat spot on the firing line. Some firing lines have slight humps or dips that might make your shooting position feel "off" right from the start. Just do the best you can to get flat. Make sure that your X-sticks are planted in the ground FIRMLY at the exact height you want. It is not uncommon for me to reset and tweak the height 3 or 4 times before I get them perfect. I'm real picky about this. The reason is that if your sticks are off just a little, you will "muscle" the rifle into the correct position no matter how little you have to do it. When the rifle is fired, as it recoils, it wants to return to the original position you steered it away from. You should be in a relaxed but solid firing position. Make sure your elbows are far enough apart so you are comfortable without any undue strain. You are relaxed with your rifle on the sticks at the proper height, crosshairs centered on the bullseye. Now close your eyes, relax, and think of all the X's you are going to shoot. Now open your eyes and see if the crosshairs or front aperture have moved off the center of the bull. If above or below, adjust your sticks up or down. If right or left, MOVE YOUR WHOLE BODY until you are centered on the bull again. once again, DO NOT MUSCLE THE RIFLE to get centered. Good enough wont cut it. GET IT PERFECT! Once you get your N.P.O.A. fugured out, and you do it enough, it kind of gets locked in to your muscle memory. It just feels right. You're ready. More to come. X

The range i use has two stations specifically for prone shooting. Two big tables with steps up to them so you don't have to lay on the ground. I’ve seen a couple guys laying there adjusting stuff for so long, that i get there and shoot, then clean up & leave and they haven't fired a round.

The range i use has two stations specifically for prone shooting. Two big tables with steps up to them so you don't have to lay on the ground. I’ve seen a couple guys laying there adjusting stuff for so long, that i get there and shoot, then clean up & leave and they haven't fired a round.
Ever stayed to watch them shoot?

Maybe they're dry firing and you couldn't hear it with your protection on?! Or maybe it was there first time with the rifle scope. Or maybe its just like you said, being too critical and being "sniper want-a-bes."

Maybe they're dry firing and you couldn't hear it with your protection on?! Or maybe it was there first time with the rifle scope. Or maybe its just like you said, being too critical and being "sniper want-a-bes."
Yeah could have been anything. I didnt want to bother them, i know i want to be left alone while shooting.

Back