Free Hand Shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What little steps or hints do you have for off hand or also called free hand shooting?

• Do you try and time your trigger squeeze as you drift across the bull?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you circle the bull and try to come up under it?

• Do you circle the bull and try to drop down on it?

• Do you simply try and shoot quickly with controlled trigger squeeze?

• Do you use other methods? What are they?

• Total voters

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I've been doing more and more free hand shooting the past couple weeks. I've also noticed that I have sure lost a lot of my old ability at it. I attribute some of that to injuries to my arm and the fact I do not hold as steady as I did when I was younger. Although I do feel I am touching off at the right time, yet the targets I shoot can prove different.

I know it is not the rifle, because off a bench rest or shooting sticks I do a good job.

I try and ambush the bull as I drift across it..., I guess. Never tried those other methods. I've also been trying to use a sling some to "tighten up". Don't know if I like it or not though.

With my Center Fire rifles most all of them have military style slings which I always used for shooting. I have slings on a few of the inline rifles but none of the traditional rifles. Although I have one Renegade that is set up for a sling. I might give that a try... :D

I have always had my best results not really circleing the bull but just starting below it. I like to start under it and slowly raise POA like I was tracking a bird just flushed and flying straight away, I try and time my squeeze with the arrival of the sights on the target. I have good luck with this but as in all offhand shooting,sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't.

Slow Drifting across still working for me.I can manage to shoot 3 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a scoped gun.57 year old eyes with the start of glucoma does good to hit a pie plate at 50 yards with open sights off of sand bags.Can't trianglate the three points anymore.(Front sight,rear sight,and target.

I bring the sight picture up from 6 o'clock and pause at the bull and squeeze. I do the same thing on game.

I dug out my old CVA 54 Mt. Rifle today to shoot some prb's...
I come up from the bottom as well.

1 1/2" group at 50 is the best I can do and that's off bags. 54 don't cha know!

I could still take a Magilla with a sidelock if he wasn't over 75 yards.

I just shoot,don't even think about it just put the gun up and shoot when the sights are on the target,of course over the last 60+ years of shooting with open sights its old hand. GUN FIT is everything in open sight shooting.
I was taught as a youngster that put the gun up and fire it without aiming If the gun fits you should be able to hit a 5 gallon pail at 50 yds.without aiming. Just point and shoot if you can't try a different gun or modify the stock. If you can hit
the pail then just work on sighting the target it gets pretty easy. Now I am talking hunting accuracy here. Running deer, standing deer, rabbits etc.
Redclub

Back