Glasbed Knight Disc Extreme 50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This rifle was purchased from Chet in September. It has never shot very good. Seems i have put around 170 shots through it. The bolt has been switched with the Elite. The nfpj adapter and breech plug were installed. The W209 primer fit perfect, and there is zero blow by. The brazed vent liner was removed and replaced at 108 shot with a Holo-Krome screw. The stock barrel channel was shimmed at one time without success. The stock barrel channel was sanded larger, free floating the barrel, with little success. Last week i took a day off hunting, and shot this rifle at paper. How it shot was disgusting, so i took it home, and glass bedded it.

Today it seemed the glasbed had cured long enough, so i went up and shot it. The first target was shot at 100 yard using 105g of BH209, 300g Deep Curl, short Harvester sabot, and W209 primer. Aim was the middle target. After seeing where the first shot hit, i moved out to 198 yard, and shot 3 shots. 105g of powder isn't enough to work with the cds dial the way it is engraved, and them 3 shot hit a way low.

P1010134.JPG

The holes dyed green i shot with the Accura, which appears to be worn out, after all the shooting it has done the past 2 years testing breech plug. Aim was the top target.

After i took the photo, i went back out to 200 yard, and shot 5 more times. Them shots were all over the place. Then i decided to try some long range shooting at about 270 yard, but i couldn't drive in, because the government has now closed the road i had driven last fall, and summer. So i came back and shot the Knight some more, but switched the load to 120g BH209.

P1010136.JPG

The 120g load worked more better with the marks on the CDS dial. Aim was the middle target for shot 10-20. Aim was the bottom target for shot 21. Shot 10-20 were at 199 yard with the cds dial set on 2; shot 21 was at 100 yard, with the cds dial set at 1. Just before i finished shooting, the breeze increased. Temperature during the shoot was 28 degree to 35 degree. Elevation was about 4700'. At home removing the breech plug revealed the flame channel was 1/8". Carbon accounting for the difference between 5/32" and 1/8". The flash hole in the Holo-Krome screw has increased from 0.028" to 0.029" from 61 shots.

Is the increase in dia of the vent hole from using the higher presure of Blackhorn 209? Does anyone know how many shots you can shoot before you must replace the vent? How long will a vent or breech plug last when using other powders?

Glass bedding of your rifle is very interesting. Was wondering the same thing myself. My Disc Extreme has always shot very well even with some pretty hot loads of Triple Seven loose 2F (150 grains). Has anyone else glass bedded a ML?

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:09 pm Post subject: Knight Extreme Bedding

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after the first range trip with my Knight 45 (results in post on 9/21) I decided to remidy the barrel/ stock contact. The contact was at the forearm tip and along the left side of the stock. With the propper size dowel I started sanding soon realized that sanding was not fixing the problem. Seems like the more I sanded the more contact I got. The ultimat fix as I saw it was a full bed. I wrapped the barrel with two tight wraps of electrical tape at the forearm tip. This would provide the free float that I was after. I did some sanding along the sides of the receiver and on the outside edges of the recoil lug area to provide room for the bedding compound. I used silly putty in the ramrod channel up to the front of the recoil lug as a filler. As a release agent I used clear shoe polish. The compound is Devcon Plastic Steel which is pricey but well worth it. Because there is only one action bolt I extended the bed 4 inches forward of the stock bolt for added support. The bed extends 7 inches from the back edge(bolt opening) of the receiver and is rock solid. Forward of that is freefloated. In my next post is the results on paper and I'm very happy with it.
Here is the one I did,hope the pics are here.

Well that did not work, I will try again later.

rat trapper said:
Is the increase in dia of the vent hole from using the higher presure of Blackhorn 209? Does anyone know how many shots you can shoot before you must replace the vent? How long will a vent or breech plug last when using other powders?.........................
Right or wrong, i believe the flash hole erosion is caused by heat, and abrasion by burnt primer and powder pieces. It seems to me that the flash hole is eroded in much the same way that a sand storm pits windshields, and wears paint and rock and anything else. It doesn't seem to me that the type of powder matters, but i confess to being ignorant about erosion caused by powder other than BH. The original vent liner was replaced because i was really really interested in seeing how difficult it would be to remove it, and because it had eroded to 0.035".

The vent liner currently in use has only eroded 0.001" in 61 shots, which i found to be a pleasant surprise. It seems to me that breech plugs, and vent liners erode must faster than most imagine.

All 5 of my Knights are bedded and free floated. They maintain a consistent POI and are darn accurate. I highly recommend it. YMMV.

Bedding

CIMG0001.jpg

Here is a pic of my bedding job. It appears to have cut my groups in half.

That's a good bedding job. Good shooting too.

The accuracy of many inline muzzleloaders can be improved by floating the barrel and glassing the action.

Today i was up in the hills shooting at water jugs, and also managed to shoot some paper with the 50 Extreme. Range was 199 yard. Load was 300g Deep Curl, 120g BH209, short Harvester sabot, and W209 primer. The shots all felt good; i don't think we can do any better.

P1010153.JPG

Looks like a dead animal to me 8) I had to unliad my KRB today since I don't hunt the NY muzzleloader season, it's $21 for the licence and only gets me 9 more days and I can only hunt two of them. Any who I took a shot at a Blackhorn jug at approx. 160-170 yds. using the Accu-Range rectical on my Redfield and missed. Oh well it was a standing shot and not very well braced.

Nice work Ron.

I'd like to try a bedding job. I've looked on youtube for some examples but haven't seem a good explanation. Any recommendations on product which will give a rookie good directions?

josmund999 said:
Nice work Ron.

I'd like to try a bedding job. I've looked on youtube for some examples but haven't seem a good explanation. Any recommendations on product which will give a rookie good directions?

I just used Brownell glasbed gel. There is good directions in the kit. Check out the picture that fisher1 posted in this thread. His work is looks to be excellent. If i recall correctly he used devcon. He probably is the one to ask about the bed job.

Latest posts

Back