Going to buy a kibler…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to own a quality flinter. Had one 30 years ago but sold it. I want anyone’s opinion on what they would get and why, as caliber and style, Jim has three to choose from. I am thinking of getting his woods runner in a .54 cal, cherry stock, and brown the barrel. Ty shorty
I'm thinking your right ,I did only in walnut and quality is easy with Kibler /Ed

I am rethinking from a.54 to .50 cal., being whitetails would be the biggest challenge for it? What do you all think about that? Ty

Why a .45, there twist is for a round ball? Are the .45’s with round ball adequate for whitetails ? And thank you for your help…shorty

A 45 is a good deer caliber at close range, under 100 yards.
Typical round ball twist barrels are 1/60 to 1/70.
I have a vintage Traditions Deerhunter rifle in 45 caliber with a 1/66 twist barrel.
Very accurate little gun. A 60 grain by volume charge is plenty of power for whitetails.
The recoil is more of a gentle push on the shoulder, which is a good thing for us seniors. Lol

Jim's rock sparkers are nice. 45 is mostly a gentle recoil, but any of the 3 using prb are decent on recoil. Using a prb i would get a .54, prb is not a great blood maker. Any of the 3 with a high shoulder will drop them there. I love .45's but i use mostly conical out of mine

Some states require a RB > .50 for some game (out west, elk IIRC) so .54 is it ...

On the other hand, just about any small mom-n-pop place that has anything at all for muzzle loaders will have stuff for .50 ... and possibly .45, but never .54 that I've seen ...

But TBH if I were gonna get a fine flint lock, I'd be tempted towards something slim, light and smaller caliber... but then, I have a weakness for all things of smaller bore.... kinda total opposite of someone with magnumitis....

Hey Shorty ! It's that other New Yorker here, I shot a Kentucky Long rifle built by a Kibler set up in 50 cal. I liked it and bought on three years ago with a fancy striped maple stock. I wanted to build in the era and style of the Boone and Crocket style, Still a work in progress due to past health issues and the learning curve for me ( as I am learning disabled. I like the way they shoot and I am hooked on the Pa. late season. Those boys down there take their flintlock serious. I have some thing that might help if you do get a kit. Just give me a holler.

I am rethinking from a.54 to .50 cal., being whitetails would be the biggest challenge for it? What do you all think about that? Ty
54 in 4 different Renegades (all 1-48 twist) and all sold off , but kept a 50 just to have something in common with my in lines uses 50x45 sabots and smokeless 45 uses 45x40 sabots so 50 to 40 is covered cutting back
on molds /guns Ed

I’m just entering the sanding stage of a Kibler Colonial kit. I went with a 58 cal smoothbore. I also had the barrel jug choked for shooting tighter shot patterns. I understand that the woods runner kit is very precise in its cnc machining. My colonial kit was close but still a fair amount of fitting was required. I agree about the 54 cal. That’s only because you can’t get a 58 in the woods runner 😜. Go big or go home 😂

Some states require a RB > .50 for some game (out west, elk IIRC) so .54 is it ...

On the other hand, just about any small mom-n-pop place that has anything at all for muzzle loaders will have stuff for .50 ... and possibly .45, but never .54 that I've seen ...

But TBH if I were gonna get a fine flint lock, I'd be tempted towards something slim, light and smaller caliber... but then, I have a weakness for all things of smaller bore.... kinda total opposite of someone with magnumitis....
kinda total opposite of someone with magnumitis....
I certainly do not know anyone afflicted with that...not even sure what that is really, but it sounds just terrible.

I have a kibler Woodsrunner in .54. Love it. It is light and compact enough, and makes a great hunting rifle. The other nice thing about the .54 is that it is actually the lightest, all barrel demotions are the same, just a bigger hole in the barrel, which makes it lighter. Not a huge difference between the .50 and the .54 but a noticeable difference between the .45 and the .54.

Back