Got him

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out last week, nothing legal gave me a shot, but got supper on day on my way back to camp. He was about 10 yards up an oak tree.
I regularly hunt squirrels with longbows, recurve, pellet guns and muzzleloaders, but this one was extra special. This was my first kill with this vintage Bear Grizzly. It belonged to my good friend, Cliff, who bought it when he was in his 20s.
He gave to me when he decided to move back to Indiana to spend his retirement. One year later he died unexpectedly after falling off a ladder. I will continue to hunt and compete with it until I pass it on to my son, who grew up going to mountain man events with us and eventually worked for Cliff at his knife shop.20231028_103831.jpg

I've been wanting to drag my .22 pcp pellet gun out with me for just such a thing. Plus who doesn't get super annoyed after 30 minutes of constantly getting excited about something moving in the woods just to find another tree rat making more noise then a bear walking through the woods. And unfortunately it's illegal here in Illinois. Ugh

Not shooting though buddy. How you cook em up?

I've been wanting to drag my .22 pcp pellet gun out with me for just such a thing. Plus who doesn't get super annoyed after 30 minutes of constantly getting excited about something moving in the woods just to find another tree rat making more noise then a bear walking through the woods. And unfortunately it's illegal here in Illinois. Ugh

Seared then simmered with carne guisada seasonings for a couple hours.

Great shooting! I'm sure that your friend would be proud, knowing that you are still using the Bear!

Nice shot, great eating!
The vintage Bear bow reminds me of the days when we were hunters that stalked our game and got close. These new fandangle contraption "bows" tend to make some people shoot at game way beyond their means.
I miss shooting my 1960 era Herter's bows but due to old age, mishaps, and you name it, they just hang on the wall and remind me of the good old days.

I still have my Shakespere recurve that I shot my first deer, A six point buck many years a go, brings me back to another time of simplicity that I can remember as if it was yesterday. Happy for you , proud of you, Not too many that have been sucess full with a recurve.Keep going as long as you can pull it back, my days are gone, Good hunting....

Out last week, nothing legal gave me a shot, but got supper on day on my way back to camp. He was about 10 yards up an oak tree.
I regularly hunt squirrels with longbows, recurve, pellet guns and muzzleloaders, but this one was extra special. This was my first kill with this vintage Bear Grizzly. It belonged to my good friend, Cliff, who bought it when he was in his 20s.
He gave to me when he decided to move back to Indiana to spend his retirement. One year later he died unexpectedly after falling off a ladder. I will continue to hunt and compete with it until I pass it on to my son, who grew up going to mountain man events with us and eventually worked for Cliff at his knife shop.View attachment 38709
A Bear Grizzly was my first hunting bow. I purchased it back in '65 and killed a nice 8 pt with it that year.
As I recall I paid $42.50 for it! I also bought a new Rem 870 Wingmaster 20 ga the same year for $87!

It is illegal to shoot squirrels with a pellet gun??????????????

It is illegal to shoot squirrels with a pellet gun??????????????

What's illegal in Illinois?

I think a better question is, “what IS legal in Illinois?” If it involves any type of gun it probably is illegal now, or will be soon.

That was exactly how I was going to respond. Straight walls and shotguns only during deer season. No other hunting allowed and no carrying any other firearm while deer hunting

That was exactly how I was going to respond. Straight walls and shotguns only during deer season. No other hunting allowed and no carrying any other firearm while deer hunting
You said it was illegal in Illinois. I thought you meant illegal period. To be clear squirrel season is closed during the first two early rifle seasons only and is open from Aug 1 thru Feb 15.

And yes, Illinois is completely jacked up!

Latest posts

Back