Got my Great Plains Hunter in 54, here are 1st results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

884savage

Reaction score
I found a .54 Great Plains Hunter for sale on Armslist last week, and I picked it up yesterday. The guy said he'd shot it, but he could have convinced me it had never been fired. Felt like I got a good deal on it for what all it came with. It came pre-rigged with a Lyman Peep Sight, and he threw in at least $100 worth of random trinkets he was wanting to unload. I'd already cast some bullets for it, so I went to shoot today. I hadn't shot a percussion muzzleloader in over 15 years, so I was excited about the day. I've become addicted to my inline Encore, but my childhood is calling me back.

Well, I had some 380 grain REALs ready to fire today. I decided to begin with 60 grains of RS and build up from there. The bullets loaded way too easily. They nearly fell down the barrel. Amazingly, they still shot great groups. At 25 yards 6 shots were touching, but then after 15 shots I had 2 fliers that were way off. I mean one 8 inches left and one 8 inches right. Not sure who was to blame there. My ego is a bit sore if they were my fault.

I switched over to 425 Great Plains bullets, and since 60 grains worked so well on the first batch, I stuck with it. Again, bullets touching at 25 yards. I sighted it 1 inch high at 25 yards, and I moved to 50. Shot 2 shots at 50 yards, and they were 1 inch high and 2 inches high. I was tickled by that, so I quit. I'd have shot all day if it weren't were the 17 degree temps. I was sitting on cold concrete shooting off a pair of shooting sticks. I feel like this gun has great long range potential if I sand bag her. I'm very pleased with my purchase, and I never went above 60 grains.

I'm planning to hunt the 26th with this lovely new toy. I'm assuming with 425 grain bullets that 60 grains of powder will put the smack down on any whitetail doe Indiana has to offer, but I'd like opinions from some of you that have done it. I'm assuming with proper shot placement this load will destroy a deer. Correct?

It sounds like you got a great deal on a real shooter, and you're ready for shots out to about 75 yards. That big conical is gonna put a serious hurtin' on whatever it hits. A whitetail doesn't have a chance.

Sounds like a heck of a shooter you have there.

And the big conical and 60 grains of powder I will guess will blow right through a whitetail at close to moderate ranges. Also that big conical will make a big hole. Its a nice load you have there. Good luck with your rifle.

Latest posts

Back