Lyman Deerstalker Hunting Peep Sight Suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
Back in 2020 I bought a 50 cal Lyman deerstalker flintlock from Dixons Muzzleloading shop per suggestions from this forum. It’s a fantastic gun, and a joy to shoot! Right now I’m using .15 inch thick patches, and a .490 roundball, with 90 grains of 2F. Last night during the last 10 minutes of shooting light to end out the Pennsylvania muzzleloading season, I had a shot on a deer roughly 90 yards out, and missed. Now historically on paper, I’m getting roughly 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards, but at 100 consistency goes way down. Once I missed that deer, I knew I needed to put some real work into making my flintlock effective out to 100 yards. A big part of this I believe to be a peep sight. What peep sight would you all recommend for my deerstalker, and what other things should I consider to help increase my confidence at range with this rifle?

All input is Greatly appreciated - Ethan

When I had my Deerstalker, I had a Lyman 57 sml rear peep and a Marbles fiber optic front sight. I also used the largest rear peep aperture that I could. Williams used to sell a rear aperture that had a brass ring set into it. Helped in low light situations. Peep sights will help shrink your groups but they can get rather dark in real low light situations. A fiber optic front sight will give you a few extra minutes.

When I had my Deerstalker, I had a Lyman 57 sml rear peep and a Marbles fiber optic front sight. I also used the largest rear peep aperture that I could. Williams used to sell a rear aperture that had a brass ring set into it. Helped in low light situations. Peep sights will help shrink your groups but they can get rather dark in real low light situations. A fiber optic front sight will give you a few extra minutes.
I was looking at that Lyman 57, I’ve heard good things about it. That aperature sounds really interesting, is this what you were referencing? It seems to be in stock on Midway. I think this size is good no?Williams Aperture Twilight 3/8 Diameter .050 Hole Steel Black

That Twilight sight is a good one to get. However, you may find removing the aperture altogether will be what you will need for shooting at Dusk. Removing the aperture will not affect your accuracy and you'll find you be able to pick up the fiber optic sight better. I lost out on a doe because I didn't remove the aperture and couldn't see the deer and place the optic front sight on it.

When I used a peep for hunting I didn't use any aperture at all. Quick to get on the target. Not bothered by low light.

That Twilight sight is a good one to get. However, you may find removing the aperture altogether will be what you will need for shooting at Dusk. Removing the aperture will not affect your accuracy and you'll find you be able to pick up the fiber optic sight better. I lost out on a doe because I didn't remove the aperture and couldn't see the deer and place the optic front sight on it.
Yeah, that makes sense. The particular doe I missed two nights ago was 5 minutes before shooting light ran out. I see you that as well have a 50 cal flintlock lyman deerstalker. Do you run a peep sight on your set up? Also, what have you found to be a good hunting load in yours? I heard that thicker patches may work better in lymans due to the way that make their rifling, and I also heard that felt patches might be good? I've only worked up a load with 2f, I would assume it's worth trying 3f as well?

Yeah, that makes sense. The particular doe I missed two nights ago was 5 minutes before shooting light ran out. I see you that as well have a 50 cal flintlock lyman deerstalker. Do you run a peep sight on your set up? Also, what have you found to be a good hunting load in yours? I heard that thicker patches may work better in lymans due to the way that make their rifling, and I also heard that felt patches might be good? I've only worked up a load with 2f, I would assume it's worth trying 3f as well?
Felt makes great patches (Dura Felt ) is the supplier and Harbor Freight for a cheap set of hole punch's and under $20 .00 (lots of calibers)/Ed

I don’t use a peep sight on my Deerstalker but I do on my TC Renegade. On my Deerstalker I use a green fiber optic front and rear sight. As far as a load I haven’t shot it much to give you an honest answer. I plan on developing one soon.

Latest posts

Back