Gun Writer Jim Zumbo Blasts Second Amendment

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact that Zumbo used the words Terrorist against the weapons that a law abiding citizen may choose to have and he felt the need to ban such weapons is why he can never be forgiven. He is welcome to his opinion but to publicly condemn people for using a firearm that he admittedly knew nothing about is outrages. I have a feeling his apology?s are far more about damage control than ?being tired after a days hunt? His timing on this article couldn?t have come at a better time for the antis.

I agree with big6x6. This is what should have been said the 1st time around before all the heat from his sponsors/employers. Maybe this is what he meant to say and just didn't convey it well, but many will say the 2nd apology is only due to the losses.

As I see it, the silver lining in this mess is that we as sportsmen have show that we can make a difference by speaking up. Hopefully this can be built upon and the heat can be put on our elected officials to rethink their stances on firearms legislation.

I have been writing and working for the right to keep and bear arms (RKBA) since the 70s, and I have never encountered Mr. Zumbo anywhere around that fight. Not to say he hasn't done any pro RKBA work, I just never saw it. I first met him at a show in Seattle in the mid 80s, of course I knew of his hunting work and writing. I have seen him from time to time at shows since.

I will say that he still doesn't "get it", but then he was a hunting guy not a RKBA guy.

I have been shooting black rifles since '69, usually a M16A1. They have come a long way since those days, and gunsmiths now know how to arrange them to shoot well for whatever task, and the aftermarket guys have learned how to build parts that work.

Mr. Zumbo is not the only hunting elitist to feel this way, he is just the first to experience what my friend Earl describes as a "blogswarm".

jim

from the article bat linked to:

"Zumbo's fall highlights a fundamental concern of the NRA and many champions of military-style firearms, according to people who follow the organization closely. They do not want American gun owners to make a distinction between assault weapons and traditional hunting guns such as shotguns and rifles. If they did, a rift could emerge between hunters, who tend to have the most money for political contributions to gun rights causes, and assault-weapon owners, who tend to have lots of passion but less cash."

ah, so this is the answer . . .. the NRA doesnt want a rift between hunters and "assault-weapon owners" because "assault-weapon owners" don't have as much money to support the NRA. gotta love the media :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

First ive been a NRA Member for many years plus member of the NWTF. I am also active in my local F&G Club. I have my own personal opinion regarding the mass production & dissemination of "assult type" weapons & kevlar piercing ammo etc.. There are a few that have them at my local F&G club who shoot there. I have been at the range shooting my MLers when some of them were there shooting. The few times they were there i voluntarily left the range. One time the shell casings were being sprayed towards me & several hit the side of my face & flintlock. I "kindly" warned them in addition to reporting them to our club. In no way am trying to stereotype the "typical assult weapon" owner. I must admit though that the ones Ive come in contact with at my F&G Club wernt cut from the same mold as me or the average sportsman/hunter.

I know some here have them of which i respect them personally and their ownership rights.. That's not my concern at all. I feel over the long term they will be damaging to our overall shooting sport. I truly support the Second Amendment & am torn over this topic. The definition of "arms" in the Second Amendment today covers far more than the original writers had ever envisioned IMO. I'm really not sure what the right answer is. Whatever evolves from this arena...i hope the sportsman/hunter will be not be adversely impacted in our right to bear arms. I hope its not one of those win the battle & loose the war kinda things.

I truly respect others opinions regarding this matter of which we all have a right to like Grouse said. :)

This is the method argument writ huge: it doesn't matter if the stick bow wins over the compound, or the traditional ML over the inline, or the bolt action over the semi-auto if there isn't a right to bear arms. If the antis succeed in shaving off one type of arm at a time, they will continue to do so until there are none. They are never satisfied, and if you think they will be, well...

Take a look at England and Australia if you want to see onion peeling in action, and well advanced at that.

The really twisted thing to this whole situation is the "controllers" don't care what you do or don't do or like or don't like, they want to control *you*. Your guns prevent that, at least in their minds.

I shot my first M-16 in 1969 and used it in Viet Nam in '70 before there were all these semi-automatic options in the market. All this noise because the rifles have a look about them: their function is the same as models introduced in 1903. This year I am going to configure a 6.8 SPC AR-15 variant and use it for at least one deer hunt. ;)

Of course I will also use my '06, and my ML rifles for other hunts, and maybe find a hunt for a crossbow.

So don't look down on others because of their method, embrace them all and remain free.

jim

:) Some good insight Jim!

I likely own more guns than the average hunter & have so for the past 43 years...so obviously my thoughts & opinions are bias & selfishly looking foward to benefit me as much as you. Like they say "everyone has an opinion just like an......." :lol:

Loggy, I'm sorry I didn't have time to actually reply to your post, when I checked in a little while ago. In re reading your post a second and third time. It appears your issues are more from a stand point of firearms safety, common sense, and courtesy. I doubt anyone could dispute the lack of all in some individuals. Legislation will never correct the irresponsibilty of some. If a man handles a gun impropperly, he will likely use a sharpened stick as foolishly.
Our only recourse is to fight for the rights of the morral majority, and punnish criminal offenders, as Registered Voters & Jurrors.

I like you do not own an AR, but I can not say that all of my guns are Sporting Arms. Some of my guns are simply fun to shoot. Take for example the .32 HK4 that my wife loves to shoot. If she hits a gallon milk jug, she is thrilled as I might be taking a perfect shot, on the perfect hunt.

United We Stand, Divided We Fall....

:) Amen Ridgeviewer!

Its those moucho Rambo wannabees that worry me. If someone feels they need an assult weapon to hunt with or just to pleasure shoot..thats fine. When hillary or whoever gains control next term they will be just lookin for another mass killing with an assult weapon which will then pull everything into the **** tank. We have to face it ...the next probable term wont be gun friendly for sure. Thats whut i fear is down the long road ahead of us.

Back