H4198 Substitute

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ny hunter

Reaction score
Running low on H4198 been shooting it for years in my 45 CVA conversion. Seems to be
In short supply what is everyone
using for a substitute?

Benchmark is what I use in my M/L.

I'd use H335 if it were a bulkier powder. If it'll work for the 444 Marlin it should work for a .45 M/L.

Never get stuck on a single powder. Too many good choices out there.

Grab a reloading manual and look at big bore powders. Always wondered how H110 would perform in a smokeless propellent muzzleloader.

Last edited:
Benchmark is what I use in my M/L.

I'd use H335 if it were a bulkier powder. If it'll work for the 444 Marlin it should work for a .45 M/L.

Never get stuck on a single powder. Too many good choices out there.

Grab a reloading manual and look at big bore powders. Always wondered how H110 would perform in a smokeless propellent muzzleloader.

Many magnum pistol powders can make good sml powders, too. I was suggesting the two best options(imho) to replace the h4198 he asked about.

I like to run powders thru Quick Loads to get an idea of how it may perform, too.

Many magnum pistol powders can make good sml powders, too. I was suggesting the two best options(imho) to replace the h4198 he asked about.

I like to run powders thru Quick Loads to get an idea of how it may perform, too.
I may have to start tinkering.

And make an extended breech plug so can use smokeless powders that are less bulky.

That .45-70 chamber has been a thorn in my side since the conversion.

WRONG! I can say that it'll do very well in my SML.

However................. I'm shooting charges much heavier than most.

View attachment 42437
That may be true and it may work fine but why isn't 3031 ok for SML. The chart I was looing at shows the following # in order of burn rate from fast to slow: #72 IMR4198; #73 H4198; #79 IMR3031; #81 Benchmark.
A couple guys here said that IMR3031 wasn't any good as a SML propellant but now you're saying Benchmark is even though its slower burning? Enlighten me.

That may be true and it may work fine but why isn't 3031 ok for SML. The chart I was looing at shows the following # in order of burn rate from fast to slow: #72 IMR4198; #73 H4198; #79 IMR3031; #81 Benchmark.
A couple guys here said that IMR3031 wasn't any good as a SML propellant but now you're saying Benchmark is even though its slower burning? Enlighten me.
Benchmark works perfect but I'm using heavy charges with 300gr bullets. As for the H4198 and IMR4198, I have it but don't shoot it.
Please remember, I'm shooting a complete custom, not a conversion.

1710451313899.png

When I'm shooting SML, I use Benchmark, IMR8208XBR, or H/IMR-4895. My overall choice for 300gr bullets is the IMR8208XBR. For 350gr bullets, H4895.

I asked a friend who is EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE with SML about the propellants above.
Here's his response...........

The Ramshot and Accurate powders are spherical ball powders and not recommended for use in SML as they will pass through the .035” bushing.
N530 is a very fine extruded powder and will also pass through. I have used it with some success but great care needs to be taken. Still not recommended.
H335 is a spherical ball powder. Not recommended.

So in a conversion which most of us shoot - like the Scout, Handi Rifle and such what would be good powders and starting charges. Powders that I know are readily available are IMR4227, IMR4064, IMR4895. No one around me carries VV. What Hogdon powders are decent choices? I'm shooting 250 - 300 gr bullets B2B.

So in a conversion which most of us shoot - like the Scout, Handi Rifle and such what would be good powders and starting charges. Powders that I know are readily available are IMR4227, IMR4064, IMR4895. No one around me carries VV. What Hogdon powders are decent choices? I'm shooting 250 - 300 gr bullets B2B.
If you're shooting a .45 or .50, look at Hodgdon's website. I used 444 Marlin data to get me started with my .40.

You can use bullet weight and guestimate what Benchmark powder can do for you.

I've been using 40 grains of Benchmark for the past decade. 40 grains is a pipsqueak load. Which is why I have/had a void between powder and sabot. Just unloaded the rifle and reloaded with 45 grains of Bench with a 180 grain Hornady XTP. No more void. This should put me around 1,700-1,900 FPS.

I could safely go as high as 55 grains with the same 180 bullet. But I find most rifles shoot better with less powder.

Good luck with her.

What would it take for you to get to #7?
#7 although velocity is there it would probably not be as stable. If you look at his chart 3, 4, and 5 are relitively flat with 4 giving slightly higher vel.
There are significant changes in points 6, 7, and 8 that would make 7 a bad choice due to instability. Too much fluctuation between 6, 7 and 8. #4 is a much better choice.

Back