Has Anyone Read These Books?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
Wanted: A critique on this author's books. Are they any good?
I bought this "double" book at WalMart yesterday for $6.00. Did I waste my money?

Preacher%20book-web_zpsmic7idyz.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info.

Excellent books.

David Thompson is another writer your really need to check out.

Thanks for all the reviews. I have about 300 books at home but have read them all since I retired. My favorites are the old African and Asian hunting and exploring books written in the 1800s mostly by British hunters/explorers.
Many of the books available nowadays aren't worth the paper they're printed on ... just like most of the current movies.

Those old English hunter's books sound intriguing. Got any titles to recommend?

I enjoyed Tom Clancy and still will re-read an old Heinlein. I read a lot of biographies. 
I am a rather wide reader. These days, I mostly will read light how to articles and books 
or reviews and/or adventures.:study:

Most of these are limited editions that are out-of-print but may be available on one of the used books outlets on the web. They are usually fairly expensive when you find one. They can be printed 'on demand' from several outlets for considerably less. Eg: One I just looked up sells for $145 and up now for a hardcover edition while the "printed on demand" ones start at $10.

1) The Wild Sports Of Southern Africa by Major William Cornwallis Harris (originally published in 1839).

2) Innermost Asia by Ralph P. Cobbold who crossed the Himalayas from India all the way to Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, and even into forbidden China and back all by foot and horseback.

3) The Nile Tributaries Of Abyssinia by Samuel White Baker who discovered the source of the Blue Nile on this trip from Egypt through The Sudan into Abyssinia with his wife whom he bought in a Turkish slave market and his 2 bore rifle, "Baby".

All of these books outline extensive expeditions outfitted and paid for by the authors' personal funds and resulted in the discovery of new species and new tribes in at least two cases. One new tribe discovered was one that hunted elephants by hamstringing them with swords and then spearing them to death.

All of the accounts are factual.

I just finished the 2 books. The first was dragged out with more cliches than I have ever read in one book. He even starts out the book with the oldest one from the original western novel, The Virginian,
"When you call me that, SMILE!" 
I have a copy of the 2nd printing of that book from 1902.

The second shorter book, however, is about how the "Preacher" ran away from home at age 12 and his adventures into manhood. It is very good.

If all of the author's books were as good as the second one in this double volume, I would buy them all.

By the way, the original rendition of "The Virginian" is good but because it is written in Victorian-style English, it's a bit difficult to get into the swing of things until you get used to the style of writing. After you do, it's quite enjoyable and not a bit like the TV series was.

Latest posts

Back