Heavenly hog dishes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Originally posted by Loggy
I hope to start out and be followed by many, many more
HOG connoisseurs here!

Here's one that I've been usin for years but plan to add more if lucky in TN and bring some pork home to work with. I understand sausage can be made there so some good recipies will be able to worked from that platform .... plus some good crock pot ideas on roasts etc. will be great to share between us. I will not discuss brain recipies...little too early in the day.

Pig's Stomach.... aka "Hog Maw" , is an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. Here goes the appetizer:

INGREDIENTS

1 large pig's stomach, well cleaned of all fat
1 pound fresh link sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 pound smoked linked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste (go easy on salt depending on sausage)
3 tablespoons flour, mixed with 3 tablespoons cool water until smooth to make a paste (slurry)
Mix together sausages, potatoes and onions. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Sew small opened end of stomach with cooking twine to close. Stuff sausage mixture into stomach, pressing well with each addition. Stomach has a lot of elasticity and will stretch to almost any size necessary. When all stuffing has been placed inside, close open end with twine.

Place stuffed stomach in shallow roasting pan. Roast in preheated 350? F oven until potatoes are tender (check by inserting thin sharp knife into middle) about 2 hours. Baste about every 20 minutes with water or pan juices. The outside skin should brown-up real nice similar to a rosted turkey.

Remove stomach from roasting pan. Drain off most of the broth in roasting pan. Make the flour paste in a small bowl. Place pan on burner on top of stove. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, scraping up all of the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Gradually add flour paste, whisking rapidly and constantly, until the gravy thickens.

To serve, slice stomach into 1 inch thick slices and latel gravy over as desired.

Some add cabbage etc but the above recipe is simple & works great. Also, you can forget makin gravy if you wish but save the broth in the bottom of pan to latel over your dish for added flavor and moisture.

This is one Mrs. Loggy even parkakes in...but she just will eat the stuffin and not the delicious browned stomach.

Man, this is makin me hungry!

Originally posted by Blue-Dot-37.5

Pork chops:

Defrost Pork Chops..

Preheat oven to 375*

Dip in milk

Press into Kellog Cornflake Crumbs that have had a sprinkle of garlic added.

Line a cookie sheet with foil - clean-up is easier if you make it 1 piece and bring it up over the edges.

Take 1 or 2 small grates (cake/cookie cooling grates) and set inside of cookie sheet. Spray them with Pam or another type of cooking oil (again, makes clean-up easier)

Place pork Chops on grates, slide into oven and cook for 1/2 hr to 45 minutes, depending on thickness of chops.

Take out and serve. This keeps the oven clean, and keeps the chops out of the fat that cooks out of them.

You can do the same with a cut-up chicken, just increase cooking time to ensure the chicken is completely cooked.

I did some of the Boar chops that way. They turned out great! 35 min. cooking time - they were cut thin.

Originally posted by Redclub
This is recipe you will not find anywhere else. Its called Bry. Take ground pork or turkey (cracklins work best) about a quart, brown the pork and put it in 3 quarts of water add a teaspoon of ground cloves and a tablespoon of cinnamon. bring mixture to a boil, start adding buckwheat flour a little at a time keep adding and stirring until it is almost solid (you will be tired) A large wooden spoon or stirring paddle has to be able to stand up on its own. Take this and put it in 3 floured bread tins and let sit for about 6 hours. You can then slice it thin and fry it until crispy on the outside. Top with
maple syrup,jelly,applesauce.
I have this at least 3 times a week for breakfast. Its very healthy unless you use cracklins. This is a old dutch recipe.

Latest posts

Back