Hello From Colorado

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMElkHunter

Reaction score
Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Steve and I've been hunting in Colorado for a number of years, mostly during rifle season with my trusty 30-06. This year I wanted to try something new so I bought a nice Hoyt bow back in the Spring. I hunted elk with the bow in September which was really fun, but after having two nice bulls standing broadside just out of bow range, I decided that next year I'm going after them with a smoke pole instead of the bow. After doing a lot of research, I bought a new CVA Accura V2 from www.muzzle-loaders.com Wow, what a nice rifle! I took it out for some practice over the weekend and within just a few shots, I was shooting a 1.5" group (using a bench rest) at 100 yds. I was truly impressed with this ML! I must say that I was equally impressed with muzzle-loaders.com as well. I was still on the fence a bit about which ML to buy so I called them up with a few questions. After schooling me a bit on the finer points of the CVA, I pulled the trigger on the new Accura V2 with the thumbhole stock. Shipping was cheap and it arrived in just a few days. I loved hunting with the bow, and will still hunt deer with it in the future, but I'm already looking forward to the elk rut next year and I can't wait to get after them with the new CVA.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on a fine muzzleloader for sure.
The cva accura is a fine rifle.
With proper load it will kill any elk very quickly.
What load did they recommend to you?
Are you shooting sabots or sabotless?

Sabots are not allowed in Colorado for hunting, so what I have used so far has been Powerbelt AeroTip Copper 245gr with 100gr of Blackhorn 209 powder. That worked great, but next time out I will be increasing to 110 - 120gr of Blackhorn 209 with Powerbelt AeroTip Platinum 270gr. Assuming they group just as well, I'm thinking that will be a slightly better load for elk hunting. The bullet that www.muzzle-loaders.com recommended was the Thor 300 grain, but unfortunately they are currently out of stock. I contacted Thor directly and got the same answer from them. If I can get my hands on some by next season, I'll give them a try as well.

Latest posts

Back