Hello from New Mexico

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Templefi

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Thanks for the opportunity to join. I am retired and have begun shooting as a hobby. My main focus has been shotgun sports. I am interested in learning more about muzzleloader shooting and hunting. I had the opportunity to shoot a friends 1990s era Knight Rifle muzzleloader last hunting season and really enjoyed it. The rifle was an older 50 cal percussion cap model that shot 45 cal pistol rounds with a sabot. Shooting it was great fun! My reason for joining the forum is to learn more about the sport and make an informed purchase for a modern muzzleloader suitable for hunting deer and elk.
Thanks again for the opportunity and I look forward to learning from you all

Welcome from S/C Wyoming. Was a longtime resident of Artesia NM in the late 60s. Still visit the area on vacation

Welcome from Albuq. The more time you spend in this forum, the more you'll learn.

Muzzleloading for elk can be frustrating. I don't recommend pointed bullets. They go through the hide like a needle, which doesn't allow for much bleeding on that side. The pure lead projectiles I started with expanded too much to exit, so I got no blood trail. My best luck has been with 405 gr. .45-70 bullets in a .50 caliber and using 777 powder and sabots from MMP or Harvester. It usually drops them in their tracks out to 200 yards.

Blackhorn powder is really convenient, but hard to find here, and amazingly expensive (around $5/oz.). With the 115 gr. loads I use, that comes out to around $1 per shot just for the powder. I load centerfire rounds for less. I've followed some of IdahoLewis' advice and gotton some outstanding groups with heavy conical bullets (full bore with no sabot) over a wool wad and 80 gr. of 777.

In case your friend didn't tell you, you have to clean muzzleloaders every time you shoot. Especially the breech plug. Most people recommend loose powder rather than pellets because you can tune your load. I like loose, because it is less expensive. Ebay sells tubes that you can preload for the range and hunting.

As far as rifles go, you can spend thousands and get some really great rifles, but for a good rifle at a reasonable price, I don't think you can go wrong with a .50 CVA Accura, or a used TC Omega. I've got an TC Encore, and multiple after market barrels are available for it, including centerfire barrels.

Back