Help Me Choose A Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best .458 Bullet for Whitetails with Muzzle Loader

• Nosler 300gr BT #31456

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Speer 300gr JHP #2482

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Hornady 325gr FTX #45015

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Hornady 350gr FP #4503

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Sierra 300gr HP/FN #8900

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Barnes 300gr TTSX Boattail #30642

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TammyM

Reaction score
I just ordered a CVA Accura V2 LR from Muzzleloaders.com. I have a .458 SOCOM, so I have a lot of different .458 bullets on hand. I haven’t killed anything with the .458 SOCOM, so I have no terminal performance info for any of them. I would like to hear experience for both accuracy and terminal performance of these bullets from the forum.

This is what I have:

Nosler 300gr BT #31456
Speer 300gr JHP #2482
Hornady 325gr FTX #45015
Hornady 350gr FP #4503
Sierra 300gr HP/FN #8900
Barnes 300gr TTSX Boattail #30642

I currently have Harvester black crush rib sabots on order. Which other sabots will work with .458 bullets in CVA Bergara barrels? MMP Orange HPH? MMP Black 3Petal-EZ? Other???

Is there a sabot that will work with the Barnes TTSX Boattail? Can I use the Harvester yellow crush rib sabot?

I understand that CVA Bergara barrels are less tight than Knights or T/C barrels.

I plan to start with 100 grains by volume of BH 209 powder.

What are you hunting? Probably any of the bullets you listed will work unless you're hunting for something unusual.

Brazos_Jack said:
I just ordered a CVA Accura V2 LR from Muzzleloaders.com. I have a .458 SOCOM, so I have a lot of different .458 bullets on hand. I haven’t killed anything with the .458 SOCOM, so I have no terminal performance info for any of them. I would like to hear experience for both accuracy and terminal performance of these bullets from the forum.

This is what I have:

Nosler 300gr BT #31456
Speer 300gr JHP #2482
Hornady 325gr FTX #45015
Hornady 350gr FP #4503
Sierra 300gr HP/FN #8900
Barnes 300gr TTSX Boattail #30642

I currently have Harvester black crush rib sabots on order. Which other sabots will work with .458 bullets in CVA Bergara barrels? MMP Orange HPH? MMP Black 3Petal-EZ? Other???

Is there a sabot that will work with the Barnes TTSX Boattail? Can I use the Harvester yellow crush rib sabot?

I understand that CVA Bergara barrels are less tight than Knights or T/C barrels.

I plan to start with 100 grains by volume of BH 209 powder.

I would not count on your CVA barrel being less tight, but you will not actually know until you try it. Many CVA barrels are really tight.

I just bought an Accura V2 and the bore is .501. As Mike said. I have had them tighter. I had one with a Nitride treatment that was .499. Nothing fit that bore. A .451 bullet with the Harvester CR sabot was the only combo I could get down it and it was a struggle.

Muley Hunter said:
What are you hunting? Probably any of the bullets you listed will work unless you're hunting for something unusual.

East Texas whitetail deer. They tend to be small - less than 200 pounds.

Brazos_Jack said:
Muley Hunter said:

East Texas whitetail deer. They tend to be small - less than 200 pounds.

Anything you posted plus 250gr/225gr bullets. Since you already have those bullets you listed. Use the one that's the most accurate in your gun.

I use the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets with 2 pellets of T7 in my CVA Accura. The Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet is another excellent choice. My sons use the same bullets in their CVAs, one with T7 & the other with BH209. These bullets were recommended to us by Carlos of ED's Gun Shop who is a Black Powder Gun Guru and is considered an expert with regards to BP period. Example of the 250 gr recovered bullet that took a nice buck at about 45 yards.

71kcWdVl.jpg

I have 3 different CVA rifles, an Accura V2, Accura MR & Optima V2. The Barnes 300gr TTSX Boattail is an exceedingly tight fit with the yellow crush rib in all 3 of them. It is also questionable about how well this bullet would expand at muzzleloader velocities. Two Barnes bullets that I have used to punch paper, but not for hunting, are the Barnes .451 275 gn XPB with MMP HPH-12 sabot & the.458 300 gn TSX FB with MMP HPH orange sabot. The TSX loads a bit tight but isn't unacceptably difficult. Thes bullets shoot great in my rifles with 110 gn BH209 but again, expansion at muzzleloader velocities could be questionable. I have also found the Hornady .458 250 gn Monoflex in the MMP HPH orange sabot to shoot very well, again no experience on game.

sabinajiles said:
I have 3 different CVA rifles, an Accura V2, Accura MR & Optima V2. The Barnes 300gr TTSX Boattail is an exceedingly tight fit with the yellow crush rib in all 3 of them. It is also questionable about how well this bullet would expand at muzzleloader velocities. Two Barnes bullets that I have used to punch paper, but not for hunting, are the Barnes .451 275 gn XPB with MMP HPH-12 sabot & the.458 300 gn TSX FB with MMP HPH orange sabot. The TSX loads a bit tight but isn't unacceptably difficult. Thes bullets shoot great in my rifles with 110 gn BH209 but again, expansion at muzzleloader velocities could be questionable. I have also found the Hornady .458 250 gn Monoflex in the MMP HPH orange sabot to shoot very well, again no experience on game.

Send a couple of those Barnes TTSX bullets to Ron for testing. He can try them with 80grs of BH and give you a great idea how they might perform.

It is also questionable about how well this bullet would expand at muzzleloader velocities.

Why would you think that? The 458 SOCOM operates in the 1800-1900fps range with a 300gr bullet. I have shot 1 deer with them in my 54-120 in a 54x45 Harvester sabot and a max load. MV is virtually identical to the SOCOM load data in my short barrel carbine.

[youtube]eQdFRNLPIpA[/youtube]

Im pretty certain mine expanded very nicely on this doe shot at around 60+ yards
mkMkWNZ.jpg

jNvRAVX.jpg

Back