Heres how its going

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well, Ive been hunting everyday since Wednesday morning. I get out an hour before shooting time and stay till 10-11 am then come back out at 1-2 pm. Ive seen all kinds of deer including a daily trio I will call Hewey, Dewey, and Lewey. Hewey is momma doe, Dewey is the doe fawn, and Lewey is the button buck fawn. I see them every day but I'm afraid Lewey must have a Tape Worm. He is constantly coming out to feed and hangs around 3-4 hours a day. He will feed for a while then lay down for a nap. His hoof print is about the size of a quarter and standing next to a squirrel I think a squirrel could take him in a fight.

Ive seen all kinds of 6 points, spikes, forks, broken racks, mutilated racks, some butt ugly I thought about shooting to remove from the genetics. Not a decent shooter yet. I have all next week to hunt so Ill stay with it. Had 7 Toms in this morning and a constant flow of squirrels, blue jays, cardinals, and of course Lewey.

Enjoying myself big time.

Well, Ive been hunting everyday since Wednesday morning. I get out an hour before shooting time and stay till 10-11 am then come back out at 1-2 pm. Ive seen all kinds of deer including a daily trio I will call Hewey, Dewey, and Lewey. Hewey is momma doe, Dewey is the doe fawn, and Lewey is the button buck fawn. I see them every day but I'm afraid Lewey must have a Tape Worm. He is constantly coming out to feed and hangs around 3-4 hours a day. He will feed for a while then lay down for a nap. His hoof print is about the size of a quarter and standing next to a squirrel I think a squirrel could take him in a fight.

Ive seen all kinds of 6 points, spikes, forks, broken racks, mutilated racks, some butt ugly I thought about shooting to remove from the genetics. Not a decent shooter yet. I have all next week to hunt so Ill stay with it. Had 7 Toms in this morning and a constant flow of squirrels, blue jays, cardinals, and of course Lewey.

Enjoying myself big time.
ANY................ signs of the rut starting down below???

A lot of hunters I know think that shooting does is beneath them. A lot of them like to say I got "A BUCK". If you keep shooting small bucks you'll never shoot a big buck. A small buck goes to the locker just like a doe. It's very rare to see a buck in Iowa say over 150 inches.Buck to doe ratio is also way out of whack. This mindset would have to change to shoot big bucks. Of course it won't. I'm expecting to get an awful lot of earful.

Last edited:
Your right, Im seeing a lot of deer. Yesterday 16 but only one ugly buck. This morning about 8 deer. 5 bucks and some came by a second time. The big boys will make a mistake eventually.
If not they will be bigger next year.
Hmmm 15 purrrdy bucks, 1 ugly buck, thats a fine day of hunting right there.

A lot of hunters I know think that shooting does is beneath them. A lot of them like to say I got "A BUCK". If you keep shooting small bucks you'll never shoot a big buck. A small buck goes to the locker just like a doe. It's very rare to see a buck in Iowa say over 150 inches.Buck to doe ratio is also way out of whack. This mindset would have to change to shoot big bucks. Of course it won't. I'm expecting to get an awful lot of earful.
I think you're right & I think that that kinda mentality & practice is widespread

Was fortunate enough to get a shot on this guy Sunday.
It's hard to let him walk as my neighbors practices a brown its down strategy.
He was a traveling buck never seen him before Sunday. He was dogging a hot doe and making a scrape when I spotted him.
There were 5 other lesser bucks in the field.
Along with 8 or 9 does.
I am yet to christen my smokeless as we have had roving packs of dogs invading my property.
I had 3 large German shepherds come at me on Friday so I grabbed the 308 magazine rifle out the safe too have a little more fire power.
To protect myself.
We had a guy get attacked up the road had 197 puncture wounds and who knows how many stitches to pit him back together 20231119_080203.jpg
The shot was 212 yards thru the heart.
He fell where he stood.

He was a traveling buck never seen him before Sunday. He was dogging a hot doe and making a scrape when I spotted him.
Along with 8 or 9 does.
I am yet to christen my smokeless as we have had roving packs of dogs invading my property.
I had 3 large German shepherds come at me on Friday so I grabbed the 308 magazine rifle out the safe too have a little more fire power.
To protect myself.
We had a guy get attacked up the road had 197 puncture wounds and who knows how many stitches to pit him back together View attachment 38937
He fell where he stood.
Congrats on that beauty of a deer. Great shooting.
As for those dogs, that is nuts. Stay safe. Shooting a dog can be hard to do when they were probably someone’s pets not very long ago.

Along with 8 or 9 does.
To protect myself.
We had a guy get attacked up the road had 197 puncture wounds and who knows how many stitches to pit him back together
He fell where he stood.
Just to put things into perspective I've hunted 4 to six hours every day since the second week of October when muzzleloader season came in.
Historicly October 25th thru December 3d or 4th has been when the big boys start roaming around in my neck of the woods in North Georgia.
We used to have a break after thanks giving till Christmas but the Dnr got rid of that because of all the traffic accidents involving deer.
Now we can hunt from oct15th thru Jan 3d with some sort of rifle be it muzzy or modern centerfire.
It's a grueling season

Latest posts

Back