hog shot but i aint going after him

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
I shot a hog this evening ,im guessing he was about 170 - 200. He was moving through some thick stuff and i took a quick shot as soon as i saw him in an opening. He immediatly took off in some very thick briars and you could hear him making his own path. It was right before dark, im alone and decided not to look to hard through this thick stuff. iv heard too many horror stories and didnt want to become one. What would you have done? I dont have dogs to track him. me and a buddy are going tommorow to see if we can find him. Ill let you know if we do. I did look near the area and did not find any blood. Right now im not positive i hit him, but he did head straight for the thick stuff, could this be a reaction after being hit you think? I have only killed one hog and it was a bang flop so any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Hogs ALWAYS head for the thickest, nastiest mess around when either shot or shot at.
I'd have called my bloodhound(wife) and if blood was found we'd be hacking our way through a briar thicket,,, with her in the lead. :)

When in doubt back out. If you weren't comfortable about going looking for him by yourself at night (which I wouldn't have been either) then you done the right thing. Maybe you and your buddy can find him tomorrow. Better to lose a pig than get hurt.

SJ is right. If your not comfortable tracking a wounded hog in thick cover at night,,, don't. Wounded hogs can get very aggressive.

I've had to beat them off with a machete, I've had to climb a few trees and I've had my pants ripped a few times, but thats all part of it to me. Talk about getting your ticker pumping. :D

Well me and two others went out yesterday to look for the hog with no luck. I could not find any blood at all. I figure i missed that one all though i hate to admit it. But...........i did make up for it yesterday heres the quick story

After looking for the hog the two friends of mine did not want to hunt because we had 30 mile gusting winds. They told me to get my poncho ready and headed for the house.

I did not get into the tree stand instead i carried an aluminum ladder out thier to save time and work. Im sitting thier in my camp chair beside the ladder and looking at all these dead trees above me swaying in this wind.
OK its time to move out of here before i get squished. I get all my things to the truck and i hear a loud crack. I look over and a tree has fallen in the road blocking my entrance trail.

I drive the other way and go to a spot an old man used to take me too when i first started out hunting. Its a swamp thats always had good hog tracks. (killed my first hog thier) this time i get out of the truck and just take the chair to sit in and wait. Two hours go by without incident ... then i hear something coming. I stand up with rifle and two hogs are coming straight for me. As soon as i raise the gun they see me and start running. I have the scope set on the lowest 3, but man it was hard to find him in thier......so BAM. they keep going i eject shell and load, they come to an opening and BAM......squealing ......i wait put another shell in ...opps hes up again BAM more squealing. HEs in the brush again. I track him good blood , it takes me to some thick stuff (granted i waited about 30 minuts before going in thier) well i take another step and i can here him moving and breathing. I take another step AND HE COMES OUT AND FACES ME damn i was kind of scared. I shot him in the head as fast as i could. This kill was nice for me because its my first relaod kill. I just started reloading and came up with this particular load. It did well considereing i shot him through the hind hip. Thanks for reading sorry so long.
IMG_0035.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0032-1.jpg
[/img]

Nice lookin hog Funman. Congrats. What rifle were you shootin? Having a face to face encounter with a wounded hog would get anyone's blood pumpin. :shock:

hey dave congrats on the hog man! hey come over to this fl forum its all fl and its free just sign up like here, a great bunch of people on there i've meet a few and the forums are great most hang out in the general huntin and the campfire section and the hog section. come check it out.
www.fohaf.com

Backstraps on the grill Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm. Just had wild hog back straps on the grill a couple of weeks ago and it is some kind of good. Congrats on your piggy.

:D 8) :)

Congrats :!: :!: Let me know when your serving up some pork for dinner and I'll help you get rid of some :wink: :!: :!:

TJJ said:
Nice lookin hog Funman. Congrats. What rifle were you shootin? Having a face to face encounter with a wounded hog would get anyone's blood pumpin. :shock:
I was shooting with a 308 ruger hawkeye. I just bought the gun couple months ago and really like it

Ill check out that website horse fly.

Thanks to you all

Back