Hog Testing?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I have been having a discussion with friends. 

We have all heard some folks say wild pigs should 
be 'tested' for disease when taken. However, no one 
we know is certain. Searches on the net offer conflicting 
opinions. 

I know you guys will know. Any need to test hogs 
taken in the wild before eating?
:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:  

Thanks.

PS BONUS: This youtube link is to a video on how to field dress wild pig put out by 
Alabama Extension Service, Auburn University, and Alabama Fish and Wildlife. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9IHZt3OGY

Any need to test hogs taken in the wild before eating?
No.  

Although wild hogs can carry serious diseases there is little danger to those eating properly prepared meat. 

1.  Wear rubber gloves when handling, field dressing and skinning hogs.

2.  Don't sprayed with bodily fluids. 

3.  Look at the entrails.  If they don't look right don't eat the hog. 

Wild pork is the best there is.  It don't even look like domestic pork.  Nor does it contain growth hormones and/or antibiotics. 

A skinny hog is not fit to eat.

every hog we took with Floyd smelled and tasted great. They say with hog, wait something like a month before eating it to kill off any worms that may be in the meat, or cook it well done.

With wild hogs that I hunt are in rural areas [Central Florida], usually around fields and crops....No problem sweet meat, if they smell good and not rank you will have some good eats....Sows are preferred (small 150 lbs) Bar hogs are some of the best I've had (castrated), they think more about eating than chasing the sows...Many of the ranchers want them off their land because they do massive damage to crops and property....Some of the hogs will break over 300 lbs. A lot of the ranchers will trap them, castrate them, and turn them loose with a clipped ear to be able to identify them at a distance...

Had a couple of guys I know shooting hogs in and around a garbage dump and they caught bruecelosis, of course they were eating nasty stuff, just be mindful of the area you are hunting. Use the outline that Falcon gave above and that will do just fine...

YMHS
Hilljack

The most common swine disease  passed on to humans is trichinosis.  Trichinosis comes from eating uncooked/undercooked pork; domestic or wild:  It don't matter.  Freezing the meat does not reliably kill trichinosis.  Cook your pork. 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trichinosis/basics/causes/con-20027095

My first Army EOD unit had a nice Jewish guy for our unit clerk.   His orthodox grandfather owned a huge construction company; now the largest in NY state.   Things were looking up for the clerk until he came down with trichinosis and got disinherited. 

This 306 pound boar is the last big hog i shot.   That hog was very fat.  Gave him to a family who makes the best stuff that can be made from pork. 

th_2ace0a88-9523-4d29-b594-3ca1cf2d73b8.jpg

PS BONUS: This youtube link is to a video on how to field dress wild pig put out by 
Alabama Extension Service, Auburn University, and Alabama Fish and Wildlife. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9IHZt3OGY
Yep, the guy forgot one very important thing:  He failed to bleed the hog prior to field dressing.  Many, if not most hunters now days fail to bleed their animals.  Bleeding makes a difference in the quality of the meat. 

You will see my hogs hanging head down:  i cut the throat ASAP.

The hogs in Fla. can have brucellosis, which can be fatal to humans and dogs, and pseudo-rabies, which will kill a dog. They also can have trichinosis as Falcon stated.

I always use gloves when gutting a hog or cutting it up and I try to never let my dog lick the blood or eat any raw meat from one.

patocazador said:
The hogs in Fla. can have brucellosis, which can be fatal to humans and dogs, and pseudo-rabies, which will kill a dog. They also can have trichinosis as Falcon stated.

I always use gloves when gutting a hog or cutting it up and I try to never let my dog lick the blood or eat any raw meat from one.
Do you have your's tested before eating? If so, where? 
Trich can be dealt with with adequate cooking, I think. 
I am even careful to cook well with commercial pork

PS. I have enjoyed all the responses, guys. They have 
been fun and interesting. Thank you.

:pig:

I don't know anyone who tests hogs but the USDA tests cattle for brucellosis before they are sold unless they come from a brucellosis-free zone. $1.00 from every cow sold in Fla. goes to pay for testing to insure that the state will be brucellosis free. I think some free-range cattle in south Florida swamps are still carriers of brucellosis.

Contact your county agricultural agent and ask him about testing hogs.

Bear like pork carries trichinosis, so like pork, it has to be cooked well done.....just comes with any omnivore that will eat anything and everything..............hmmm wonder if human critters have to be cooked well doe?

Latest posts

Back