Hollywood Voodoo or True Blue?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I would go 12,000 ft below the surface in a gold mine in South Africa before I would go 700 ft into a coal mine in China!"
Ron is the MAN! Thank you for giving the definitive answer. You get a win just for that. :king:

And, how cool is going to the deepest gold mine in the world! And, you blow things up. 
Sounds like your mine was fun! I'm gonna guess about 50F as the temp? 8)

The 1949-1957 black and white television series, The Lone Ranger, stars Clayton Moore. (Except for between 1952-1954 when the role was played by John Hart due to a contract dispute.) If you have seen this series in color, it has been colorized except for the last year(?) when the producer shot it in color despite the fact that ABC broadcast only in black and white.

Do not speak of the recent film version. It is an atrocity.

The Lone Ranger is the only survivor of an ambushed posse of Texas Rangers. He dons a mask for reasons that never really made much sense to me. But, he is really ticked off at bad guys and rides the range looking to right wrongs in an often lawless west with his side-kick Tonto played by Jay Silverheels.

In the legend, The Lone Ranger randomly discovers a silver mine with which to fund his crime fighting. This is also the reason for the name of his horse, Silver, and the source of his famous silver bullets. He passes these out like business cards. You can actually buy silver bullets today.

Bullion%20Silver%20Bullet_zpsslukwfs6.jpg

These bullets are treated as if they are almost magical and The Lone Ranger never misses. So, silver seems to actually improve bullet performance.

Does this work? Is it Hollywood Voodoo or is it True Blue?

the-lone-ranger-tv-thubm_zpsj98nlhsp.jpg

Silver is quite a bit lighter than lead and the mass of the silver needed for a stable, effective bullet would make the bullet long and easier to upset but not as bad as Barnes X bullets which I gave up on years ago for their poor accuracy. He should have found a gold mine and rode a Palomino like Roy Rogers. Gold has much more mass and would work better but not as well as lead.

AFAIC, it's a waste of silver.

"As for going into mines: I took 14 Colorado School of Mines students into what was the deepest mine in the world back in 2004. We went down to 11,400 ft below the surface in one of the Western Deeps mines just west of Johannesburg, South Africa. Since we had to go more than 2 miles down, the cage (lift, elevator) moved at 30-35 mph!

Anyone want to guess the temperature down at 11,400 ft?"

Ron, was it a gold mine or a diamond mine?

When I worked as a "miner" in caissons, it got nice and cool at 90-110 ft. down. However, there must be a depth where the mantle of the earth starts to heat up the lower edges of the crust but I will guess that it's still cold at 11,400 ft.  ... maybe 45 degrees F ... or not?

Gold density is 19.3; silver 10.5 and lead 11.3. Gold would make a pretty heavy bullet. Silver, not so much. But silver at a few dollars an ounce is much more affordable than gold at over $1000 an ounce. That suggests that the Lone Ranger either had a silver mine or that he was too cheap to buy gold for his bullets.
I can see Tonto pulling the Lone Ranger to the side and saying: "Kimosabe, stop wasting our limited funds on silly, low density silver bullets. We'll go bankrupt soon and all the bad guys will get away."

The mine was a gold mine in the famous "gold reef" of South Africa.
When you are near the surface in an underground mine, the heat in from the land surface (sun) and the heat loss balance and the temperatures are around 55 F or so.
However, when you go deep, decay of natural radioactive material generates heat. The walls at the great depth of the Western Deeps are about 140 F. If you are right next to the ventilation system, it might be 85-90 F. Move away from the direct flow of the ventilation, and it heats up quickly. It might be well over 100 F and 100% humidity at the working face. Shifts of workers are limited there to 4 hours because of the heat.
The miner works at atmospheric pressure in mine openings. At great depth, the pressure behind the rocks on the wall and roof is millions of pounds per square inch. The biggest risk is rock burst. The rock just blows out into the mine workings. Last year, we couldn't go to 12,500 ft because a miner had just lost his legs in a rock burst. Even the metal mesh that is placed on the walls and roof may not stop a big rock burst.

I took the students to a coal and a platinum mine, as well, but they were not particularly deep.
Ron

You doubt The Lone Ranger!? 

But, this is Hollywood Voodoo. Bob is correct and first. He gets a win. :king:

However, the judges are impressed by Ron's science and the sheer coolness of his answer. 
He is awarded his second win! :king::king:

Fired silver bullets and lead bullets were aimed at ballistics jell. The Silver only penetrated half the depth of the Lead projectile. The weight of the Lead makes it superior which is why spent Uranium is sometimes used as projectiles- it is even denser than Lead. Silver is also less accurate.

This made me wonder about using Gold. In theory, it should work if spent Uranium does. But, I'm with Ron. There has to be a drop factor over distance. Plus, while Gold Round Balls would look sharp, I would waste a lot of time trying to dig them out of the berm! I'm too cheap to shoot away Gold!;)

So, unless there are werewolves involved, avoid silver bullets! :joker:

Dr. Who is to British popular culture what Star Trek is to the United States.

The first episodes ran from 1963-1989. The series was resurrected in 2005 and continues today. You may watch it on BBC America. Dr. Who is a time and space traveling, Time Lord. He and his companions halt threats to the earth that originate from far away galaxies, times, and dimensions. Twelve actors have played the role of the shape-shifting, genius Dr. Who.

Dr. Who is the last survivor of a planet called Galafray and flies around in his ship called the TARDIS fighting bad guys, er… aliens.

While Dr. Who prefers to use his Sonic Screw Driver and brain to defeat evil, his acquaintance, Dr. River Song (Alex Kingston) is happy to shoot first and ask questions later. She really does not like it when Dr. Who wears hats. In the episode, Impossible Astronaut, Dr. Who shows up in the American West wearing a cowboy hat. When he says, “Stetsons are cool,” River Song appears and shoots the hat right off his head.

drwhos6-00005_zpsvcnkijlx.jpg

River Song blows smoke from her gun after shooting Dr. Who's hat off.

Shooting hats off of people’s heads is seen often in film and television. The Dr. Who episode is just the most recent scene I know about.

dr-who-s6-02_zpsfbdpgf9s.jpg

Dr. Who (Matt Smith), River Song, and companions. 

Does this work? Is it Hollywood Voodoo or is it True Blue?

In order to move the hat, the bullet has to transfer energy (mass of the bullet and velocity) to the hat.

So, if you look at the transfer of momentum and force and kinetic energy, from the equations, the bullet has to dissipate its energy into what it hits and lose velocity. However, bullets pass right through a hat and lose very little velocity. Therefore, very little energy is transferred to the mass of the hat. It does not move very much.

Hickok45, on YouTube, shows how the hat just sits there as the .45 Colt bullets pass through. Mythbusters did something similar and could slightly move the hat, but not knock it off the dummy. And you have to be a dummy to be the one who wear’s the test hat. :say whhhhhat: :D
Ron

Ron is mostly correct. So, he will get the win.:king::king::king:
He explains it better than I could. (Message me 
and I will send you a T-shirt as this is your third win!) 
Shot from the front passing over the head is mostly 
Hollywood Voodoo.

HOWEVER, Ron is actually also INCORRECT. Shooting a hat 
off IS INDEED POSSIBLE. So, this could also be TRUE BLUE!

Confused? It is all a question of the angle and/or proximity of the shot. 

Allow this Youtube video to demonstrate... 
It is gonna be a little difficult- and fun- to watch... :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVoxUgF7VbU

I hope this safety tip was useful and enjoyable.:!:

I will be putting further additions of Hollywood Voodoo/True Blue on hold till after the holiday. 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

It has been awhile, but I thought it was time to revive this game. 
RonC won the last round. He got his very Florida XXXL T-Shirt as his 
prize some time ago. 

We start from scratch!

The Game: 
Old movie situations with shooting themes will be offered. 

You must make the call... Is it Hollywood Voodoo BS? 
Or, the True Blue truth?

There is a (mostly) right and (mostly) wrong answer. 
Sometimes the right answer will become clear due to 
the responses.

The winner may not be just the 'correct' answer. 

A really clever answer may win the prize. So, the first 
answer has priority, but if you make the judges laugh? 
You just may win the quiz, anyway. When it stops being 
fun, the games will end.

Three 'wins' will earn you a T-Shirt. 
icon_king.png

Please, stand by for the new question.

angie_back_wanted_large_zpspsbhi5kj.jpg

I always like to go to the range and shoot in my birthday suit!

In the 2008 movie Wanted with Angelina Jolie, James McCavoy, and Morgan Freeman
a secret league of super assassins lurks. It is based on a limited comic written by Mark Millar.

wanted-movie-image-james-mcavoy-slice-01_zpssw6ry8xk.jpg

These assassins have an unique ability that seems to stem from hyper-adrynel 
glands. When they get excited, their bodies, senses, and reactions become 
super acute. So, they are able to do things like shoot the wings off of flies
They heal themselves at incredible rates, as well.

Wanted-2008-Wallpaper-Movie-7_zpspf3qzxcv.jpg

They also display the ability to shoot over incredible distances, hit targets 
by curving their bullets in flight, and generally making our best day at the 
range look like an idiot child's attempt at playing with the grown ups.

A lot of the movie is absurd. My personal favorite is the idea of inscribing a bullet 
with words and art while having no impact on accuracy. 

wanted-header5_zpscuknj2zp.jpg

That said, there is one thing that happens repeatedly that we can examine. 
Characters shoot at each other at nearly point blank range. They do not die 
because they target the actual bullet in flight and shoot it down.

Twobullets_zpsy7q1mtol.jpg

Forgetting that this is improbable and beyond the skill level of mere mortals, it does raise an 
intriguing question. Is it possible to shoot down one bullet with another bullet as it is coming 
at you? Is this Voodoo or True Blue?

The below Wanted movie pic is of a multiple stage rifle bullet used in the movie special effects 
section. There were no Revenant round balls used in this movie!

I hope this has been enjoyable for you.

the_bullet_from___wanted___by_maxspider_zpsvq7vaphi.jpg

If the bullets are on the exact same trajectory and hit directly straight on and:
1. the bullets are moving at exactly the same velocity
2. have exactly the same mass
3. made of the same material and
4. and collided along the same exact center of mass axis
Then all of the kinetic (motion) energy would be converted into heat energy and the rest would go into deforming the shapes of the bullets. You would get a smushing of the bullets, and heat generation, and then they both would drop to the floor.
iSVPFl.jpg

As the textbooks say, "It is obvious that...." (Yeh, right!):
3cdFPj.png
gtKY6i.jpg

If all those characteristics don't hold, and the masses and velocities are different and the bullets don't hit straight on, you get into the theory of elastic collisions. If you knew exactly how glancing the collision was and the mass and shape and velocity of the bullets, then the new path the bullets would take could be calculated.
stoSFf.png

orNj2v.jpg

On mythbusters, the bullets fused together.

And in conclusion, it must be remembered that the mass of the a$$ equals the cosine of the angle of dangle.
Ron (only trying to help) :twisted:

Impressive, Ron. I suspect you are part Vulcan.

You do not mention time and distance? Shame on you for shoddy physics!

Answer forth coming...

Kentucky Colonel said:

Answer forth coming...
Since velocity is in the equations, and velocity is distance divided by time, time and distance are, indeed, accounted for. :lol:

And for your perusal, I will show you Ron's Mathematical Theorem: make up an equation that looks impressive and you can fool everyone.
Ron

RonC said:
Kentucky Colonel said:

Answer forth coming...

And for your perusal, I will show you Ron's Mathematical Theorem: make up an equation that looks impressive and you can fool everyone.
Ron
I saw the bluff in the equations, you cheeky monkey! Ron's Mathematical Theorem indeed!

It does not take a genius to deduce bad logic. It just takes 
one willing to be made a fool of if they happen to be wrong. 
As I am often wrong and have no such fear?

You just played poker with a trivia game. 

I call shenanigans! 

Velocity does include speed. It does include distance. 
However, it does not include human point of origin of launch.

I will not reveal the judges' decision as they have not rendered it, yet. 

So, step up and place your bet.

patocazador said:
I hope no one wasted money to see that movie BTW. It looks dreadful.
Bob, you are right... sort of...

It is a horrible movie when taken after the fact. 

However, a movie must entertain and hold your interest. 
While you are watching it.

If it fails? If it succeeds? 
It does not matter it's social relevance or truth. 

Example? We ALL look at Ms Jolie's image even though the 
story may not warrant it. We can not help but look. We are 
hard wired. Tell me you did not look! 

We enjoyed looking. This is the 'hook' the industry placed it's bets on...

Want to make your analytical brain go bye-bye? 
This film may do that IF you ignore the obvious 
logical traps to the story.

I would rate it a 3 out of 5. I have seen tragically worse.
I have seen a LOT worse and more earnest.

I did not look because, not only did I not see the film, I've never heard of it before your post. In fact, it may be a figment of your imagination contrived for this game only.

In fact, I can't ever remember seeing an Angelina Jolie film ... although I have seen plenty of her father's films.

patocazador said:
I did not look because, not only did I not see the film, I've never heard of it before your post. In fact, it may be a figment of your imagination contrived for this game only.

In fact, I can't ever remember seeing an Angelina Jolie film ... although I have seen plenty of her father's films.
You are right. All of this is your imagination.

You did not look at that pic of Angelina? Wow.

Latest posts

Back