Hornaday bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years I have shot the hornaday sst 40 cal 200 grain bullets in my knight 45 muzzleloader.I really like the bullets.I have been reading where some of you guys use the hornaday 200 grain xtp/hp bullet in your muzzleloaders.In my sst's I use a harvester lbs but these xtp's come with light tan sabots.My brother went to an outside gun show here in In.yesterday and picked up 3 boxes at $10.00 a box.Will there be much or any difference in accuracy if I switch tothe xtp's.They do look pretty destructive.

One thing I also do to my bullets is to knurl them.I feel that they get a better grip on the sabot and not just spend in them.Just a little extra to better stabilize the bullet in my mind.I am looking forward to seeing how the xtp's are going to shoot.

200gr XTPs shot with light loads around 1800fps or less are fine close range deer killers. Usually accuracy is great within 100 yards. The base on the bullet is flatter than the 40cal SST and the jacket in thinner.

I’ve shot plenty of deer & some coyotes with the 200 grn XTP in my 45 cal Knight. They have worked very well, often exit. When hunting, my preferred shot is right behind the foreleg, mostly a ‘soft tissue’ shot. Ideally I would take this angling forward.

Of course when hunting, shots & what’s offered varies. Yes, the Barnes copper bullet, if recovered, is a prettier mushroom, but dead is dead.

Knurled bullets in a sabot.
I wonder if the knurling would impede the release of the sabot, due to it getting caught by the rougher surface of the bullet.
The sabot petals open so quickly and bend backwards that the bullet release shouldn’t be affected by knurling. I’ve never heard anyone report that knurling negatively affects accuracy.

I tried TC Cheap Shots, which are smooth sided lead .45 240 grain Hollow points, with great accuracy. I also tried some typical 250 grain cast lead, with grease grooves, and accuracy wasn't as good. Recovered sabot showed where the sabot petals squished(?) into the grooves.
I believe that altered how fast the sabot released, and that effected accuracy. I think anything effecting sabot release will hurt accuracy.
I have also noticed that if I clean jacketed bullets with rubbing alcohol, prior to insertion in the sabot, accuracy improves. It removes any residual dirt/ sizing lube so the bullet and sabot are in good contact.
Just a thought.

I tried TC Cheap Shots, which are smooth sided lead .45 240 grain Hollow points, with great accuracy. I also tried some typical 250 grain cast lead, with grease grooves, and accuracy wasn't as good. Recovered sabot showed where the sabot petals squished(?) into the grooves.
I believe that altered how fast the sabot released, and that effected accuracy. I think anything effecting sabot release will hurt accuracy.
I have also noticed that if I clean jacketed bullets with rubbing alcohol, prior to insertion in the sabot, accuracy improves. It removes any residual dirt/ sizing lube so the bullet and sabot are in good contact.
Just a thought.
I have killed many deer with the TC Cheap Shots.

Back