Hornady 340 gr Bore Driver ELD-X Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also think they'll work fine for deer if used as intended. If you're shots are over a hundred or more yards is what they were designed for. Where the Bullet has slowed to the point another round may not open properly. If under 100-150yrds then use the FTX bore driver. Two different bullets with two different intended uses.

I’d use the more accurate one and the one that wasn’t to hard to push down the barrel. In my Accura the 290 Bore Driver is more accurate than the 340 Bore Driver. At least with the loads I’ve tried. I don’t hear a lot of good comments on here for Power belts. But I killed 4 Elk with 405 grain PB hollow points in my old Hawken and they didn’t go more than 50 yards. In my experience if you get your bullet in the lungs they expire fast.

Water filled jugs, while an easily repeatable test media, does not provide a solid comparison to performance on actual flesh. This is because water does not compress, while flesh does. For this reason, frequently bullets that appear to “fail” a water test, will still perform fine on game animals.

As txhunter58 suggested, a reduction in velocity (probably 25-30%) will yield a more realistic assessment of how the bullets will perform on actual game.
I appreciate this statement and agree 100%. I tend to use soft/damp dirt. Over the years recovered bullets from the berm mimick recovered bullets from animals most of the time/real close.

Thanks for all the work on this bullet. I have a few packs myself and haven't shot any yet. Looking at the halved bullet it looks like you used a belt sander or similar.
I blew the pic up and you can see what does look like an interlock in the same area as on the packaging!
I think your halving process may have flowed the lead core over it to make it mostly invisible. It looks like the jacket is slightly thicker in the same area. It is more obvious on the left side of the pic.???

Thanks for all the work on this bullet. I have a few packs myself and haven't shot any yet. Looking at the halved bullet it looks like you used a belt sander or similar.
I blew the pic up and you can see what does look like an interlock in the same area as on the packaging!
I think your halving process may have flowed the lead core over it to make it mostly invisible. It looks like the jacket is slightly thicker in the same area. It is more obvious on the left side of the pic.???
No sign of an interlock or thicker jacket from my observations.

This is the area I was looking at. The jacket looks a little thicker here and there appears to be a tiny void in the core but you had it in your hand so you know better.340 borelock.jpg

Some range data. I shot a half dozen this afternoon. Loading was easy. They felt like the bases were engaging the rifling well. Took some velocity measurements with a Magnetospeed and caught a couple in water jugs at 25 yards (@ronlaughlin style). The tips seem to be shattering. Never could locate any of the bases so I’m not sure what they are doing. Advertised BC of .315 (G1) on these.

Omega X7 .50 (w Woodman adjustable 209 plug)
80 and 120 grV BH209 (lot 41)

80 grV BH209 (1624 fps)
3 water jugs penetrated. Several fragments found in 2nd jug, core and separated jacket in 3rd jug. Weight of fragments recovered 195.8 gr.

View attachment 36288
View attachment 36289

120 grV BH209 (2030 fps ave)
Shot 1: 4 jugs penetrated. Many small frags located in 3rd and 4th jugs. Core was unrecovered. Recovered fragments weighed 51.2 gr.

View attachment 36290
View attachment 36291

Shot 2: 3 jugs penetrated. Recovered core weighed 192.8 gr.

View attachment 36292
View attachment 36294

View attachment 36293

The second shot with 120 grV produced a pretty nice mushroom. But the thin jacket and soft lead means pretty frangible at higher speeds. These are made to be longer range bullets so that is to be expected. So far I’d say they’ll make good deer bullets. Need to shoot a few more of them.
Awesome info! I just got back from the range, worried my muzzle velocities are 200-300fps slower than I was anticipating. I’m shooting these 340gr ELD-x 50 cals out of a CVA Accura LR-X (30”barrel) with the variflame kit and large magnum rifle primers. With 80 grains by WEIGHT, I was averaging 1675fps. With the maximum 84 grains by weight (120 by volume) I only got up to 1750fps. I am up in MN, it was 20 degrees but this seems REALLY slow to me. Wondering if it may be my chrono (older prochrono digital set ~15ft downrange) or if anyone else has seen a huge dropoff like this in “cold” weather. Would applying more pressure when seating the bullet into the powder make any difference?

I shot these same bullets out of my older Optima 24” barrel in similar weather a few weeks ago and got up to 1880fps with 3 whitehots and a plain 209 primer. I was using a friends magnetospeed to read those though.

Looking for any insights/experiences or tips as I am new to the idea of stretching my ML out to 250+!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think your 340 grain pill and 84 grain weighed load is about right for velocity. I am assuming you are shooting BH209. My reasoning is that you're using weighed measurements based on the original 70% of the 120 max charge by volume suggested by the company making the powder. We've learned that each lot # of BH has its own weight to volume charge and more recent load levels have been higher than the 84 weighed grains for the same 120 by volume measure. Each lot # of BH needs to be averaged for weight vs volume. IF you're using T7 ffg and weighing it, try the same loads with T7fffg and you'll see you velocities go up.

Another consideration is that a sabot might actually seal better and give you more velocity. In Minnesota we can't hunt moose and there isn't a bear or deer that won't die very well using a 250 - 300 grain bullet with those charges. I simply don't see the need for that heavy of a bullet and there are a ton of very well made bullets within that 250 - 300 grain range that will perform nicely out to that 250 yards and more you seek.

By the way, I'm in Rochester, SE MN., and I'll offer a welcome to Modern Muzzleloader. Where in MNM are you at?

Back