Hornady - New 50 cal ELD-X

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool bullet. Wish it had been out a few months ago. Would have tried it out. Accuracy may be better but doesn’t look any tougher than the original BOR driver.

~11m55s they state designed for 1:28 or faster for twist rates.

New tip design and not the 'heat shield tip' material. They say it is a conventional DELRIN (Polyoxymethylene, aka POM), and that this is more optimal for terminal performance.

RE the BC increase, with a 100y zero they are claiming ~2ft less drop at 300y vs original bore driver (16m00s).

I was curious about the BC on these. Didn’t notice it till now in the advertising. They claim it’s .315 G1 (~ 15:30). First the guy said .345 then he corrected himself. 😒. This is compared to the 290 gr FTX Bore Driver’s BC of .135. Significant improvement.

Isn’t the Powerbelt ELR 45cal, 280gr BC around 0.31? (Advertised at 0.45).
Diameter plays a huge role in BC and I wouldn’t expect to see this larger 50cal, by Hornady with the same, even with the extra weight.

This is interesting. I'd love to see more on these. Looks like a good bullet for the smokeless setups.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why powerbelts haven’t updated their bullets. Actually, I guess they did somewhat, with the ELR, which is a tougher lead alloy. As far as I know, all the other PBS are still just soft lead, with some having a copper or platinum outside that does nothing to make the bullet tougher.

It has to be money: that the original is still selling well so why change a good thing? Eventually their lack of innovation will catch up with them. The bullets are virtually unchanged since they came out 30 years ago as “black belt bullets”

Latest posts

Back