Horndy sst junk?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am shooting cva accura Lr been using horndy sst I come to idea they are trash i had 4 deer get away from me lack of blood cant be expanding I shot a deer just above the shoulder dead center didnt fine and blood for 150 yds in backed out went track it next days 14 Hr later deer was still alive. what is a good bullet to use that fully expands gonna casues some major damage take deer out?
Barnes MZ or the spitfire.

different guns and different loads will make the difference. like i said with my exp. the SST were ok at the range
but when hunting, performed bad! that all it takes is 1 bad exp. with something and we throw in the towel.
now with so many other bullets to try we start a new chapter @ the range.

Its funny how 2 people with the same load end up with different results. I shoot about the same load and have the opposite conclusion. 200 grain SST’s hit like Thor’s Hammer. Usually DRT, furthest was maybe 80 yards. It makes one wonder why, what the difference? You can’t argue with the results , just wonder why the disparity.
Great post & dang good question. You say 200gr .40 SST's hit like Thors hammer....... I've seen them pencil thru - twice in a row. I'll run a cpl thru my chrony next time at my bench. I'm curious about the MV myself. I did switch to Dead Center 220gr .40's in LBCR's with the same charge & boy they really do hit hard, but without " overkill ". A lil pricey, but dang, I do love them bullets & aint gonna change them now. The exact same shot placement with the 220gr dead centers as with the 200gr SST's - world of difference.

Great post & dang good question. You say 200gr .40 SST's hit like Thors hammer....... I've seen them pencil thru - twice in a row. I'll run a cpl thru my chrony next time at my bench. I'm curious about the MV myself. I did switch to Dead Center 220gr .40's in LBCR's with the same charge & boy they really do hit hard, but without " overkill ". A lil pricey, but dang, I do love them bullets & aint gonna change them now. The exact same shot placement with the 220gr dead centers as with the 200gr SST's - world of difference.
200 grain SST were 2275 FPS out of my Knight. Most of the deer have been 100 yards out to 248 is the max. These are Iowa white tails that are not on the alert. The total number is 30- 40 deer taken with that bullet. At close range, less than 20 yards, 2 of those SST’s splashed on impact but still passed thru. One bullet was recovered from a 150 yd shot that hit 10 inches low, right on the elbow joint. Quick reload and 2nd shot was DRT with a pass thru. That recovered bullet I consider a fluke, probably a squib load that should be charged to the man that loaded the gun,me. I hope this information helps.

Latest posts

Back