Hot shot nipple versus a musket cap nipple.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfox

Reaction score
What are the benefit's of a hot shot nipple? Would it be equal to or better than a musket cap nipple?

The hot shot nipple is nothing more then a stainless steel conventional #11 nipple. Some have a longer nose and because of the metals used they last longer and don't seem to mark up as fast under the hammer. Also, they have a small hole drilled in their side which is meant to release gas from the ignition enough to split the cap open. So it is easier to remove. In some cases, it will remove itself when fired. One reason you have to check the nose of the hammer on occasion because it will pick them spent caps up and if you let a build up of spent caps gather in the hammer nose it can cause a misfire.

The musket cap nipple because of the wings on the top hat, don't need that hole to split them. Spent musket caps tend to come off very easy.

And its still the idea of a musket caps sends more flame into the fire channel then a #11 cap. Not necessarily a hotter flame, but larger volume of flame. So in some rifles it seems to make ignition more of a sure thing. But to be honest, I seldom have ignition problems with a properly prepared rifle and a #11 ignition system.

Thanks Dave for the info... I was just interested in the differences. I have no problems so far with the #11's, but was a bit inquisitive as to the advantages of the others..
Thanks again for clearing that up..

A #11 cap should be fine for BP, but some guns might need a musket cap, and particularly to ignite substitutes. I've replaced all of the nipples on my percussion guns with hotshots. They are taller than the factory TC nipples, shapped a bit differently inside, and have a smaller flash hole. By replacing the nipple on my .54 Grey Hawk with a hotshot, group size was cut in half at 50 yards.

There are 209 conversions to replace the percussion nipples if you really want to make some fire. I've read that they make sidelocks BH209 compatible....saw video of PRBs being fired with just a 209 primer!

I have one traditional rifle that uses musket caps. It is my T/C Black Mountain Magnum. I think it has something to do with the design of the fire channel. This is one rifle that can shoot pellets they claim. And it does fire off perfect with the musket caps.

cayuga said:
I have one traditional rifle that uses musket caps. It is my T/C Black Mountain Magnum. I think it has something to do with the design of the fire channel. This is one rifle that can shoot pellets they claim. And it does fire off perfect with the musket caps.

Do you have a Firestorm? They were made with a coned breechplug with pellets in mind, and this is both percussion and flintlock.

Latest posts

Back