CCI Musket Caps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sound Tribe

Reaction score
I've got/seen two different types of musket caps from CCI

There's the regular version that I don't think is sold anymore, or at least it's always out of stock

But... I am wondering about the CCI musket caps for "re-enactors only" Amazon even sells tins of 100 of these CCI Re-enactor Mustket Caps

Has anyone used them for normal shooting? How do they compare?
I've heard they're just fine and work the same as others but I've also heard they're much weaker and have problems going off 100% of the time

Cool thanks. I think I saw that thread but didn't want to post on an old one.

Sounds like they'll work okay if I'm using Goex?

I plan to use them on a sidelock gun with Goex FFFG, a repro Pietta Smith Carbine. I normally use regular #11 caps on my other guns but this one has a musket cap nipple. I got a partial tin of the "normal" CCI musket caps with it and ordered a tin from Amazon to give them a comparison, just not sure when I'll have time to go to the range.

If anyone else has compared them with a similar gun that isn't an inline, while using Goex, any info would be appreciated

Cool thanks. I think I saw that thread but didn't want to post on an old one.

Sounds like they'll work okay if I'm using Goex?

I plan to use them on a sidelock gun with Goex FFFG, a repro Pietta Smith Carbine. I normally use regular #11 caps on my other guns but this one has a musket cap nipple. I got a partial tin of the "normal" CCI musket caps with it and ordered a tin from Amazon to give them a comparison, just not sure when I'll have time to go to the range.

If anyone else has compared them with a similar gun that isn't an inline, while using Goex, any info would be appreciated
You can't switch nipples?

You can't switch nipples?
I think I might be able to, but historically I believe they used musket caps so I left it alone. I have no problem as of now, they all work well in my experience, I also have some shuetzen musket caps.

I was just curious if the CCI "re-enactor only" version actually worked like the normal CCI brand as I've heard different things.

And the fact that there is no hazmat charge for them. Thought they were maybe made differently

Last edited:
Decades of worldwide internet posting has shown that CCI musket caps are grossly underpowered and unreliable.

With so many other choices out there, why anyone would purchase CCI reenacting caps is beyond me.

Decades of worldwide internet posting has shown that CCI musket caps are grossly underpowered and unreliable.

With so many other choices out there, why anyone would purchase CCI reenacting caps is beyond me.
I told you that I wanted to test them and see if they are made different than normal caps. These decades of posting also have accounts of some people claiming the normal CCIs working just fine, I guess it's gun dependant, but that was the point of this thread, to ask for some other perspectives.

Also sheutzen aren't always available and have a hazmat fee, these type of CCI don't.

But mainly I was wondering if they were made differently than normal musket caps and it was a question post

Last edited:

Reenactor caps are the pits regardless of who makes them. The CCI regular musket caps are hot.

There may be a lot of choices but many of those are not available to MANY people without buying over the internet which ultimately makes them less than a decent price. I've been around for a few decades and never seen any negative comments on regular CCI musket caps other than those reenactor caps, so dunning the whole company is sort of dumb.

Reenactor caps are the pits regardless of who makes them. The CCI regular musket caps are hot.

There may be a lot of choices but many of those are not available to MANY people without buying over the internet which ultimately makes them less than a decent price. I've been around for a few decades and never seen any negative comments on regular CCI musket caps other than those reenactor caps, so dunning the whole company is sort of dumb.
Good to know. CCI #11 have done well on many of my personal guns and the musket caps had no fault so far either.

But yeah, good or bad, I just wanted to hear opinions on the re enactment versions

Thanks for your input

Being how this is the Modern ML Forum i can throw my opinion out here a whole nickels worth. It's getting very hard to get actual percussion caps. I have been buying the 209 primers and the adapter nipple. Even the ML 209 version fires off black powder. Spark Mag i think is what they are called. I am not going to be held hostage on shooting my ML's.

The old musket caps from CCI were HOT! That was why they changed them as they tended to blow out and fragment. Lots of people had to go to the hospital to have brass removed from heir face and arms. I had a chunk imbed in my right forearm. I had to go to the Dr to get removed. It is not a rumor.

I tried the new CCI muskets and they are really weak. Less than a regular #11. I know use RWS and have had good luck with them.

How would someone judge that a musket (or any) cap is weak? Is it a slow ignition or a failure to ignite? I'm just curious. What is the gauge for such a judgment call?

How would someone judge that a musket (or any) cap is weak? Is it a slow ignition or a failure to ignite? I'm just curious. What is the gauge for such a judgment call?
Your right about judging musket caps. when you get a brand or a style & its taking two/three or more caps every time to get to ignite they are weak or your nipple is bad clogged up

The old musket caps from CCI were HOT! That was why they changed them as they tended to blow out and fragment. Lots of people had to go to the hospital to have brass removed from heir face and arms. I had a chunk imbed in my right forearm. I had to go to the Dr to get removed. It is not a rumor.

I tried the new CCI muskets and they are really weak. Less than a regular #11. I know use RWS and have had good luck with them.
I think the Schuetzen caps are every bit as hot but they’re made of steel and don’t fragment at all.

Latest posts

Back