How Important Is That Warranty???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
There was another Thread in this Forum regarding warranties offered by Remington & some that do not have any other warranty outside the standard Implied Warranty.

Curious what you all consider in buying a firearm & if the warranty is the compelling factor that influences your decision??

I for one first consider the products quality & reputation history over sustained periods of time. Second, I look to proven performance attested to by owners. Not just "Johnnie Come Lately" owners but ownership history covering a sustained period of time. As far as having a wonderfully written Express Warranty VS an Implied Warranty(which all publically sold products have)...once I get over the first 2 areas specifically covering inherent quality & proven performance history(both covering sustained periods of time), I then consider the "going concern" status of the company im considering doing business with. Are they financially stable? Sometimes tuff when privately held....but if publically held, there's "user friendly" financial info for the average consumer to evaluate. I ignored this last factor when I bought my White Super 91 & to tell you the truth...I dont even know if the gun came with a warranty.

IMO, if the prospective company excells in the above 3 areas ... a warranty diminishes in value as far as I'm concerned. When there are some concerns regarding product quality & performance history...I consider the warranty to be somewhat more important.

In todays competitive word we see those Korean Car companies offering 100,000 mile/10 Year Warranties & as i look back at TASCO etc. I feel such are ploys to gain business & have very little to do with quality & long term enjoyment of a reliable product.

Case in point...I love Brownings. They come with no Express Written Warranty. I called my dealer this weekend & he quickly informed me that Browning backs their guns 100%. He has had some out for over 5 years whereby a spring etc broke & Browning fully stood behind.

Curious what you all consider foremost when spending ur hard earned dollars in a gun??? Is that "Warranty" always a predominate factor or is it even a factor at all??

Chuck, I know what your feeling are on this! :)

:) Thanks!

I cant afford to buy anything new with out a warranty. The greatest product in the world could have a problem. Warranty all the way for me.

Before I got into muzzleloaders it was never a concern. Now I guess I'm spoiled by the excelent warranties of some ML companies.

Not really sure, most of my guns have been purchased used or by me and are many years old.

My newest purchase however, a Franchi I-12 failed on its third hunt in two days, roughly a box of shells, but it should be back from the Benelli repair center in time for the Ohio hunt. That's a turn around of less than 6 weeks door to door. And over the holiday's to boot... Still, I did not buy the Franchi for its warranty, which is well written in their literature and on the web... Didn't really even consider it... I purchased it for its looks and the way it went to my shoulder...

Really my biggest mistake here was not giving the gun 50 or so rounds to find the present issue. Had I done this my hunt would have been a bit more spectacular than it was as I would have used a different gun!

JJ, as you know I've recently been eying a NIB Benelli SBE that has been discounted at a gun shop I frequent in my travels. Not for its warranty, or its reviews, but because it is a left handed model. 8) But, I recently settled on a NIB Winchester X-2 for its camo pattern, and for the Dura-Touch armor coating, this is a really cool finish, and its acclaimed cycle rate, as my new turkey/goose gun. Did I consider the warranty? no not really at all... Will I however run a box or two of shells through it before my annual week of turkey hunting? Heck yes!! If it fails then I expect Winchester to stand behind their product. Written or not, I expect Winchester to stand behind their product for at least the first year from the date on my receipt!

In todays competitive word we see those Korean Car companies offering 100,000 mile/10 Year Warranties & as i look back at TASCO etc. I feel such are ploys to gain business & have very little to do with quality & long term enjoyment of a reliable product.

I really don't know what a South Korean auto maker has to do with firearms but since you brought it up...Hyundai Azera-the Consumer Reports HIGHEST RATED in reliability in the large sedan category, bested the the Toyota Avalon. In addition the Hyundai Entourage(minivan), Tuscon(small SUV), and Sonata(family sedan) are Consumer Reports Recommended Vehicles in their respective catagries. With quality like that..you may never need one of the longest warranties in the auto industry. And that's the way it SHOULD be.

I called my dealer this weekend & he quickly informed me that Browning backs their guns 100%.

Would you expect him to say something different? I wouldn't. You should have said.."Can I have that in writing?" :lol:

Here's the warranties of some of the firearm manufacturers:

LIFETIME
Thompson/Center Arms

TEN YEARS
Mossberg(shotguns)

5 YEARS
Marlin
Benelli
CZ

3 YEARS
Beretta

2 YEARS
Remington

1 YEAR
Savage(we all know Joe Degrande does better than THAT!)
Mossberg(100 ATR Rifle)

The FOLLOWING manufacturers have a wink, wink, nod, nod, "we'll take care of you" NO WARRANTY policy:
Browning
Weatherby
Howa
Ruger

I really don't care which way anyone goes when buying a firearm. Basically..I'm just informing those of the facts.. Of course I'd no longer touch one of the NO-warranty Four with a ten foot pole. I'm especially disappointed in Weatherby. I'd always considered them a premier rifle maker. No longer. If you make a premier product, you offer a premier warranty to go with it, period. Isn't that the way it's SUPPOSED to be?

big6x6 said:
I'm just informing those of the the facts..

And this is valuable information as I was unaware of the different lengths each manufacture has.

big6x6 said:
1 YEAR
Mossberg

Are you sure on this? I'm not arguing but I happened to find one of my old Mossberg manuals and it lists a 10 year warranty. It's a 10 year old manual so it could have changed.

Patrick White said:
big6x6 said:
1 YEAR
Mossberg

Are you sure on this? I'm not arguing but I happened to find one of my old Mossberg manuals and it lists a 10 year warranty. It's a 10 year old manual so it could have changed.

You are right. I looked at the 100 ATR and it was for 1 year. Thanks for the correction! :D

I agree on Mossberg having a looonnngg Warranty. I see the 835 still carries a 10 yr. Owned an 835 for 3 years. It was sent back at least 4 times if I remember. It was in warranty transit more times them not!! Gun consistently jammed, was loosely built & louder than a kids rattle to carry...my first & last Mossberg. Had one hell of a warranty though. And yes Chuck...it was in WRITING(both in Manual & on Web)!! :lol:

I didnt do my part in exploring what im now preaching! :lol:

Would you expect him to say something different? I wouldn't. You should have said.."Can I have that in writing?"

Chuck, I have dealt with my Browning Dealer for many years. He is a good Man & I trust & respect his statements. I wouldnt "expect" him to say anything other than the truth. A very small but reputable Dealer as my guess most Browning Dealers are.

Thanx for all ur input so far. Interesting to read others opinions on Warranties! :)

Latest posts

Back