Hunting in rain?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use a cow's knee that covers the lock for flintlocks on a percussion gun also. I use CVA cap holders to seal the cap to the nipple. But you can use aquarium tubing or any fixable tubing that fits on the nipple. I use a finger cot on the muzzle. To reload quicker I use speed loaders. Good luck.

I forgot about making those cap holders. I bought some for my revolvers but never used them.

It has been mentioned, this is how I’ve done it also. Saran Wrap over bore with rubber band. And about five wraps around nipple. Do my best to keep it all protected. While hunting from a tree stand with a poncho on works real well! One of my wall hangers went down in a steady rain.

When I load up for hunting I always put tape over the bore, as I'm going to leave it loaded. It blows out of the way from the air in the bore and is out of the way before the ball arrives. That's the theory anyway, I just know I hit the same POI on a target with it in place before I shoot. I use red electrician's phase tape, it is highly visible and signals the rifle is loaded too.
Hunting in the rain? You're kidding right? People actually hunt in the rain? 🤪 😃

Stuff i use is called muzzleloader rain gear. You get the muzzle covers and little pink thingies to waterproof the #11 cap.

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/69237_ts.jpg
Not familiar with the pink nipple protector (look at the link above... not being dirty) but the covers are the same as a "finger cover" that you can get in the pharmacy department next to the gause and ace bandages. I have not seen them in black (more discrete). The box I got had 20 for $3 but they are white.

When I load up for hunting I always put tape over the bore, as I'm going to leave it loaded. It blows out of the way from the air in the bore and is out of the way before the ball arrives. That's the theory anyway, I just know I hit the same POI on a target with it in place before I shoot. I use red electrician's phase tape, it is highly visible and signals the rifle is loaded too.
Hunting in the rain? You're kidding right? People actually hunt in the rain? 🤪 😃
Sure! Around here when the forecast is for 50% chance of rain or snow and you have a 1 mile walk gaining 2500’ of elevation into the area you plan to hunt there’s not much choice in the matter. It may rain or snow, it may not. Might turn into a downpour for a while and then drizzle off and on. Some days you can experience all four seasons between 4 AM and 7 PM... as a young man I would go if they forecast heavy snows just because it beat the heck out of sitting around watching it snow... forecasters have gotten better too so if Cory Gates says we’re getting a big snow I’ll find work in the shop or something

A wet rainy day with a good wind is the prescription for a stalk in standing corn. If you've never done it your missing out on looking a deer in the eye and see the huge question mark on its face.
Yep. an October or November rain to wet down the corn is the best way to just walk right up on deer. They cant see, hear, or smell you and wont budge til they can literally kick you. Ya cant carry anything but a bow or a short gun with a knife on your belt and your sneakers is all you need. Really great if youve got a good hunting pistol, as 15yds would be a long shot.

Not familiar with the pink nipple protector (look at the link above... not being dirty) but the covers are the same as a "finger cover" that you can get in the pharmacy department next to the gause and ace bandages. I have not seen them in black (more discrete). The box I got had 20 for $3 but they are white.
Those pink nipple protectors keep loose caps in place and keep them more weather proof. You can make them out of the small vinyl tubing they sell at a hardware store. A little tougher to get on & off of some inlines but sidelocks and revolvers they work really well when you need them.

Sure! Around here when the forecast is for 50% chance of rain or snow and you have a 1 mile walk gaining 2500’ of elevation into the area you plan to hunt there’s not much choice in the matter. It may rain or snow, it may not. Might turn into a downpour for a while and then drizzle off and on. Some days you can experience all four seasons between 4 AM and 7 PM... as a young man I would go if they forecast heavy snows just because it beat the heck out of sitting around watching it snow... forecasters have gotten better too so if Cory Gates says we’re getting a big snow I’ll find work in the shop or something

I hear ya. The Pacific Northwest has a saying, "If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes".

Seems to me we'd be talking about the "c" word when we cover the muzzle of a room temperature barrel and take it out in the cold, then reverse the procedure a few hours later. I think my bore would look like it grew an orange wool overcoat real fast.

Seems to me we'd be talking about the "c" word when we cover the muzzle of a room temperature barrel and take it out in the cold, then reverse the procedure a few hours later. I think my bore would look like it grew an orange wool overcoat real fast.
I keep mine loaded for up to a month during deer season. It is loaded on a clean bore, I don't foul it first. Once loaded it is kept in an unheated room in my house. When transporting it I put it in a scabbard and on the floor of the extra cab of my pickup so it doesn't get warmed up. I use Barricade, which dries and can be left in the bore before shooting, so that is also still in the bore protecting it. I've never seen a spec of rust in doing the above, and it has always gone bang when I shoot at an animal or finally decide to empty it. So there are some steps I take to ensure the barrel doesn't sweat.

I keep mine loaded for up to a month during deer season. It is loaded on a clean bore, I don't foul it first. Once loaded it is kept in an unheated room in my house. When transporting it I put it in a scabbard and on the floor of the extra cab of my pickup so it doesn't get warmed up. I use Barricade, which dries and can be left in the bore before shooting, so that is also still in the bore protecting it. I've never seen a spec of rust in doing the above, and it has always gone bang when I shoot at an animal or finally decide to empty it. So there are some steps I take to ensure the barrel doesn't sweat.
I’ve been a fan of Eezox for years for the same reason. Dries to a film and protects very well. Someday I may switch to Barricade but first I need to use up the supply of Eezox...

Stainless steel and BH209

Latest posts

Back