I can't catch a break!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You may recall my previous post "what a Buck" and I just now post about Renegade triggers which is the reason for this thread.
I was out again and set up before daybreak. About 7:30 I see 3 deer coming my way - maybe 75 yards or so out. I cock the hammer on the Renegade .58 and just watching them come in. The lead doe is broadside at 25 yards. I settle the front sight on her shoulder and squeeze the set trigger. At the "click" she doesn't even look. She just wheels around and takes off tail waving bye-bye with the 2 yearlings in hot pursuit! I just sat there watching them vanish back into the woods.
Oh well - maybe next time.

Well that stinks. I got rid of all my side locks and never tried, but does the set trigger have to be set or will the trigger fire without setting it. Not a lot of experience with set triggers.

You may recall my previous post "what a Buck" and I just now post about Renegade triggers which is the reason for this thread.
I was out again and set up before daybreak. About 7:30 I see 3 deer coming my way - maybe 75 yards or so out. I cock the hammer on the Renegade .58 and just watching them come in. The lead doe is broadside at 25 yards. I settle the front sight on her shoulder and squeeze the set trigger. At the "click" she doesn't even look. She just wheels around and takes off tail waving bye-bye with the 2 yearlings in hot pursuit! I just sat there watching them vanish back into the woods.

Might have to Mail the rifle to me for a long term inspection.

Well that stinks. I got rid of all my side locks and never tried, but does the set trigger have to be set or will the trigger fire without setting it. Not a lot of experience with set triggers.
The front trigger will fire the rifle unset. It just becomes a normal single trigger at that point. Most TC triggers can benefit from tuning, which is not difficult and an unset trigger pull of 3-4# is obtainable.

I didn’t notice that your rifle is a custom build so I don’t know if it will fire unset.

Last edited:
The double set trigger was the only complaint I had with both of the Renegades I used to own. I never lost a deer to the "click" sound but I know of times when it most likely would have alarmed a spooky deer.

Guess she knew enough that she didn’t need to look. Just, “Adios, muchacho!” 😎 Sorry to hear that. Better luck next time.

The front trigger will fire the rifle unset. It just becomes a normal single trigger at that point. Most TC triggers can benefit from tuning, which is not difficult and an unset trigger pull of 3-4# is obtainable.

I didn’t notice that your rifle is a custom build so I don’t know if it will fire unset.
10 Acres yes Bad Karma is right you can fire the rifle just with the front trigger but right now without setting it the front trigger pull is about 12 lb (guessing)
Karma - I'm going to have to look into that. Do you have a link for me?

Can you set the second in half cock? On my Traditions "Hawken" I can set that trigger at any time and at half cock my only risk would be tripping the set sear by mistake and needing to reset it. Otherwise the single trigger is long, creepy, and hard pull, it could use a little tuning to make single trigger better.

When I'm sitting in a blind and expect the animal will be close when I shoot. I use this hold. My left hand is holding light pressure on the front trigger. My thumb is blocking an accidental discharge. The right hand is setting the trigger. The click comes from the trigger flopping around when tge set trigger is pulled.
This will allow you to set the trigger with no noise.
I normally keep an elk call in my mouth ready even for deer and antelope. It will stop a animal in its tracks. The cow call will cover the sound.

Attachments

• 20221229_165108.jpg
    20221229_165108.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Could you just push the first trigger sideways to keep it from flopping? Ill have to investigate on mine when I get a chance.

Could you just push the first trigger sideways to keep it from flopping? Ill have to investigate on mine when I get a chance.

Maybe so. I put my hand like I said to quiet the click and prevent an accidental discharge.

"Oh well - maybe next time." I've been saying that all season! 😁
I'll try my luck again tomorrow morning. Good luck next time.:elmer:

I shot mine the other day and she ran 30 yds , the difference is my set trigger is set before she gets close and I honestly think she never hears the boom much less my trigger !!!/Ed

Karma that's good info but its for a single trigger not a double set trigger.
Your lock is exactly the same mechanically as guns having only single trigger. When you fire the rifle unset it is a single trigger gun and the most accurate trigger pull adjustments are made at the tumbler and sear.
Exactly right. Lewis called it a single trigger mod but it’s actually a mod to the tumbler in the lock. Same lock for single or double triggers. I took my modded lock off a single trigger renegade and put it onto a L&R double trigger in another renegade, it works amazing.

"Oh well - maybe next time." I've been saying that all season! 😁
I'll try my luck again tomorrow morning. Good luck next time.:elmer:
I reckon that's why its called Hunting and not getting.

I look at it as they are full time deer where I'm just a part time hunter. That sometimes helps when I'm in a dry spell. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back