Last Day Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
I‘m normally burned out with deer hunting or busy working when the Texas muzzleloader season finally rolls around, but this year I really wanted to try out the new to me MK85. I hunted yesterday morning in a tripod stand and saw 8 does but never got a clear shot through the brush. I set up in a ground blind this morning facing down a lane I know deer cross regularly. I got situated in the blind about 6:45, and by about 7:45, the two cups of coffee I had before leaving the house were weighing heavy on my bladder. I decided I was going to try to sit until 9 before heading back home. My field of view wasn’t great other than straight down the lane, but I was trying to watch for deer as they approached to have time to get ready. At 8:15, I had just looked at my phone to see what time it was, and when I looked back up, a doe was already stepping out at 35 yards. She looked my way just as I centered the red fiber optic front sight on her chest and squeezed the trigger. I lost her in the smoke, but when it cleared, I could see her white belly through the tangle of privet and green briars. She made a 15 yards bloody run before piling up. My load was 60 grains of T7 3f and a 350 gr cast lead bullet in a black crush rib sabot.
994FDC6F-1C95-4455-B343-F0E63E16D4BF.jpeg

That's a nice doe. Congrats ! And it's always a fun time when you take something with a new to you gun.

That bullet appears to have done what it was supposed to do when it hit the deer. Seems to have held together well with decent expansion.

Back