I feel good - I rescued a Knight MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
and it arrived today from its' trip across the country...

Bought this from a fellow forum memember and it is all that he said it was in selling info.

Why an old MK-85,

1. well I did not have one
2. it is a perfect inline ML for Idaho ML regulations, actually for Oregon and Washington also.
3. it has a great history - the model does...
4. i kinda needed it - now I can hunt with this neat little inline instead of Renegade/SS GM-LRH

I will think of another reason later...

I handled the stock and really like it. It is shorter, lighter, and not as bulky as the current Extreme/Elite stocks. It is going to be an excellent pack rifle. Probably will get a Winter Camo pattern put on the stock but that will not happen until after winter this year.

I do not know why I thought it was going to be a .504 bore, but I did. The first thing I did was to grab a .503 Bull Shop in INSERT IGNORE it in the bore. I started it through the crown and it felt great. I did not push it all the way down because I had not removed the BP yet. I thought it was going to be perfect, but it would not be a .504.

Checked the bore and ran a couple of CR-10 patches through. The bore looked great and the patches brought nothing back out with them. Pulled the plunger, checked it out - reall can not even tell it has been used no sear line on it at all. Next out came the BP and #11 Nipple - both of them looked really good.

Put the plunger back in and decided to get some pictures. I am not a good photographer at all but I think you guys will get the idea of what this little jewel looks like.

MK-85Composite.jpg

The next thing I decided to do was to check the size of the bore further. That lead to some discoveries.

I put the .503 Bull Shop in the barrel - it slip fit through the crown as it was suppose to. It felt like it made great contact, just like my GM-LRH barrel. Then I put the ram rod on it and started to push it down as soon as I did that the bullet fell all the way through the bore and into the breech area. No biggie - I got a .504 out and repeated the process - this time it took ram weight to push the bullet down - not pressure just the ram rod and it to fell out in the breech. I do not have any .5045's to try but I am thinking that might have to be the bullet. I am trying to get through to Bull Shop Dan right now to see if he has any .5045 sized up.

Finally the last option I had were some Lehigh 50 cal sabotless bullets. I got one out and try to INSERT IGNORE the skirt into the crown. It really seemed tight just to get the skirt so I thought now way am I going to get bay the barbs. I tried one kinda hard whack on the top of the short starter - did not seem to promising. So I thought one more try only this time I put a healthy wack on it. It went down to the nose of the bullet. Pushed it down with the short starter as far as the starter would reach - then the ram rod. Once started it fit perfectly...

Lehigh50calSabotless.jpg

If you look closely you can see the land engravings on the brass...

I think these are going to shoot just fine - I just have to man up on that short starter whack!

If I were to shoot sabots it would definitely need to be the HPH-12 or the MMP Short black. The Orange .458 MMP might be to loose once started - but all of that is for a later day.

All-in-all - do not think I did to bad for an Idaho legal inline ML...

Looks good :yeah:

The triggers on those MK85s are really good too.

You could try some .458s in the Harvester Black Crushrib. That seems to be a favorite with .458s in loose bores. REALLY loose i bet a MMP 3P-EZ would work too using a .458.

Yep just checked its is .508 loaded OD.

GM54-120

OK.. noted

The other one I was thinking about is the red Harveter Crush Rib for a Savage... I do not have any of those.

Right now I like how the sabotless loads - think that will be the first thing I will try.

This will be an open sight gun - but I need to get some Fiber Optics on it. Might try that william ghost ring...

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsigh ... STRINGLINK

I used the Knight William peep rear on my LK. I really liked the MKs rear and the hooded front too.

IMO the peeps or ghost rings go great with a plunger gun. Its simple, easier to load/clean and i shoot better with them than a standard Williams rear.

GM54-120

I just ordered the WGRS and a Ghost ring for the MK - I think I will end up using the rear peep but I though for $10 I might as well get the ring just to check out...

I love those little plunger guns. I have a LK-93 that I brought back to life after loaning it to the wrong person. I never thought it would shoot well again but it was dropping them right in there once I cleaned the heck out of the bore.
I will be carrying that while I am running the camera for my partner, doubt I will even notice it straped to the camera man pack.

I have three of them LK Knight plunger guns, and they all came about because of that rifle. I can remember when that rifle first came out and friends and I read about it in a sports magazine. We laughed our selves silly. Why would anyone want to put that much powder in a gun. And what the heck was a sabot?

I am so proud of you and your collection. You make me feel very secure. :D

You just can't go wrong with any of the older Knight guns. Congrats!

That is the same model that I have except my bore is between .5015" to .5020". Knight/Green Mountain has moved its bore size around over the years. This industry could use some standardization on bore size IMO.

js

I was really expecting it to be like yours - but I think I am happy with what it is.

What did you think of the engraving on the Lehigh sabotless?

Oh, the breech plug certainly was not what I expected. I did not know that Knight use a slotted head to get the plug out. Looked at Knight last night they do not have any repleacement cap plugs... got to try to find a couple not sure why other than a cushion.

I still know where to get those NIB MK-85 54cals and man are they sweet. Plus under $200 shipped. :shock: :lol: :lol:

They were surprisingly light for a full length 54cal too and man the triggers were sweet. :p

GM54-120 said:
I still know where to get those NIB MK-85 54cals and man are they sweet. Plus under $200 shipped. :shock: :lol: :lol:

They were surprisingly light for a full length 54cal too and man the triggers were sweet. :p

NO! Scott... please let me learn that word...

flounder

At this point I already do and it is perfect for Idaho's ML season. Hope to really shoot it next week. i am going to start with T7-3f cause I have a bunch I really need to shoot. + hunting in December when it really can get cold the #11 will start the 3f a lot easier than the 2f.

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

I just ordered the WGRS and a Ghost ring for the MK - I think I will end up using the rear peep but I though for $10 I might as well get the ring just to check out...

I use the WGRS on mine and drilled out the removable peep aperture and then used some cold bluing to touch it up. Gives a little more definition than the ghost ring but not nearly as restrictive as the small hole in the factory aperture.

I really like how my MK-85 Knight Hawk (thumbhole stock) handles. Every season I play with the idea of mounting a scope on it, but just can't bring myself to do so.

newer breech plug (hex head instead of slot);
http://www.knightrifles.com/breech-plug-M900023/

#11 nipple;
http://www.knightrifles.com/red-hot-nipple-M900013/

Musket cap nipple;
http://www.knightrifles.com/red-hot-nipple-M900012/

sabotloader said:
flounder

At this point I already do and it is perfect for Idaho's ML season. Hope to really shoot it next week. i am going to start with T7-3f cause I have a bunch I really need to shoot. + hunting in December when it really can get cold the #11 will start the 3f a lot easier than the 2f.

I'm really liking the Remington (40% hotter) #11 caps for firing off T7.

Reese

I have the German RWS-1075+ caps and they are way hot. Should not have any problems...

Thanks for the links... i need to get a couple of those BP's

I have gotten so I use either the RWS or the Remington but in my Knight Rifles the CCW magnum has not failed me either. I have had good success with 90 to 100 grains of triple 7 2f in my mk-85's shooting saboted bullets.
Art

Latest posts

Back