I Had a Wild Turkey Walk through My Yard

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
At 6:30 this evening a jake turkey walked through the front yard. I heard Nyssa bark on the front porch and looked out. I saw a jake briskly heading away from her barking. By the time I got a shotgun and shells, it was 55 yards away and trucking. When it saw me, It flew into the 5 acres of woods on the right and sailed across the road to the neighbor's yard.

I'll keep the shotgun close by until the season's over.

gobble10.jpg

Wow pat" ! , you guys have an early spring long-beard season down there compared to us here in the north.  It would seem really strange for me to be hunting turkeys in March.   :face:

We can only use shotgun/archery in MA for our spring season.  It would be fun to hunt them with a pistol down there in FL. :)

That's a nice one!! Pretty long beard for a Jake IMO. Picture perfect with the fog in the back ground, love it!

Jon, that's not the pic of the jake I saw. That's just a stock photo of a Florida (Osceola) turkey.

I'd be sick if I flubbed up on that one. :cry:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Marty, our Spring gobbler season starts on March 19 and goes to April 25. Shotguns with <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> or smaller or bows on public land but rifles/pistols are permitted on private land. Most use a .22 mag. if they use a rifle.

Here's a pic I took out my window today @ 6:00 p.m. 
20160404_173559%20-%20Copy_zps2thcoujo.jpg

This hen sat along the field edge for nearly 20 minutes before ducking into the woods.

Dang! That is cold... Mass.? Still?

89 degrees here... 

You need the other kind of wild turkey to warm up with...

I got 5 inches of snow today in my yard. The turkeys stick-out like a sore thumb :lol: 
24 degrees right now.  Yup...still cold here in the Northeast. :|

I probably had my last turkey hunt of the year today. The hens have mostly split off to start laying and the gobblers have quit gobbling.
I saw a sow with 2 pigs, 6 deer, and 2 wood ducks today .. more game than I saw for several weeks this last fall.
Maybe they'll show up for me next season.

It'''s always nice pat' just get out hunting whether you get a beard or not. ;)  

--------------------------------------------------------
p.s.  Hope the game hangs around for you next season.

Next weekend I head to Missouri to try my luck at a long beard.  Can't wait!!  Love Turkey hunting!!

We're leaving Thursday for Medicine Lodge, Kansas where I'll be hunting with my son and my two grandsons shown below. Photo was taken last season. Boys are 16 and 14...both quarterbacks on their school football teams and the one on the right today hit a three run double which bounced off the 350' fence in a game at St. Francisville, La. I think both...will be prospects for LSU in a few short years.

17018534510_771d3fee41_b.jpg
Grandsonsturk by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Back