Ignition Delay with new Knight Ultra-Light?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reminder, will do on this new setup.
On the Vortek it would really get crudded up in the channel, not much at all in the flash hole. I bought a special bit set made just for the plug, so a light touch would cut the crud in the channel with no damage.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. You do have to drill out the "flash channel" but I would not use any kind of metal through the "flash hole"

bp-diagram.jpg

Use a 0.028" plug gage to verify that the flash hole is clear and a 0.036" plug gage to verify it is not oversize. I install a new vent liner when a 0.036" plug gage goes through the flash hole with no resistance.

Use a 0.028" plug gage to verify that the flash hole is clear and a 0.036" plug gage to verify it is not oversize. I install a new vent liner when a 0.036" plug gage goes through the flash hole with no resistance.
I am assuming those diameters are for the SSK plug with the removable vent liners.

Does the the factory Knight breechplug have the same flash hole diameter?

What happens when the flash hole gets too big?

Unreliable ignition or excessive blowback or?

Thanks,

Horniac

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. You do have to drill out the "flash channel" but I would not use any kind of metal through the "flash hole"

bp-diagram.jpg
I got you, no worries. Cleaning the flash channel is kind of like cleaning out the inside of an AR-15 bolt carrier; the right tool makes all the difference in the world.

UPDATE:
Got the SSK parts in. This may, or may not, be an issue: the bolt handle takes some effort to close that final drop. But, I suspect this is due to the tight fit of the primer into the flash channel tip.
Tested fired some primers, everything works! Thank you everyone who assisted with this problem. I'm back in business for my pronghorn hunt.
Anything I should be aware of when using this setup, or tips? Seems pretty straightforward.

Now, can't wait to get to the range on Sat, temps are only going to be around 95 degrees.

If you have calipers, measure an un-fired primer, then put it in the bolt and close it as normal, then measure the primer again. You don’t want too much crush on the primer but enough crush to prevent blowback and keep the primer clean.

Anything I should be aware of when using this setup, or tips? Seems pretty straightforward
If the primer fails to fall out of the bolt after firing then close the bolt and pull the trigger (dry fire). Sometimes using heavy loads the primer cup backs out , the dry fire pushes it back in.

UPDATE:
The SSK plug and bolt head mod worked 100%!!! I am a happy camper. Plus, the bolt handle rotation stiffness worked itself self out, as well.
Who in the world at Knight thought that the plastic jacket was a good idea?

BTW, thank you HC. Your tip on dry firing the primer works very well, and the primer drops right out when the rifle is tilted to the side.

Latest posts

Back